Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine
Default Training Progression Question

So I have always been a stickler about details, and my training reflects (for better or worse). I don't follow linear progression, but I do focus on hitting percentages and different rep ranges through my cycles. It has worked well and something that I am comfortable with, but lately I have been discussing training with a couple of fellow powerlifters and strongmen that I train with at my gym.

They will joke around with me about my percentages and say that I spend too much time worrying about hitting a certain number, though they agree that it works for me. Their training revolves around changing the rep scheme up on a weekly basis, but instead of worrying about hitting a certain number they will work up to a heavy weight based on how they feel.

It works for them, they are all putting up big numbers, but I curious to see what everyone on MAB thinks about this type of training and what you prefer? Just something to get everyone talking about training and ease my curious mind.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I am the same as you. After having done linear progression as a newbie, I've now been using percentages for many years and I love it. It takes all the guess work out of planning my workouts. I've tried auto-regulation (going by feel) and I always end up pushing harder than I should or falling short of a real effort. I just absolutely suck at it. So, for me, percentages work well. But I've seen others make stellar progress going by feel, they must be wired for it.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

The rep goal system is the most intelligent, appealing and effective one I've come across, so far (though I'm trying percentages for the very first time, plus a bit of fluff, as of yesterday). I started this whole lifting habit with fixed reps and linear progression (session to session).

Rep goals work so well, because sometimes 3x5 could've been 3x6 (or even 3x7!), or 8/5/4, or maybe 5/4/4, any given day. Same goes for most other predetermined reps.

But I guess that's more about rep ranges, and less about progression... though using rep goals means that you're never quite sure when you will progress (in terms of weight), so there is that.

I might have more to say, when I've done some more of this 5/3/1 thing - and when I've lifted for a bit longer in general, lol. Still, that's my experience so far, and my thoughts about it. Such as it is.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

When you start to really grasp training cycles, you will understand you do not need to calculate percentages except for the first week to get the lifting to start. Let's look Wendler's 531, its really complicated and not all the time your going to hit your lifts which in return will throw your mental prepness down the drain. The Rep scheme Goal system is a good one, because it build muscle and also helps build your lift numbers through the roof. You should never force your lifts to go up if you are not feeling it that day.
Dead Lift:455/500/?

Master Goal: Compete in 1 Lifting Sport!!! Completed Nov 16th 2014

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I'm like OR. I need the numbers going in otherwise I will do too much or too little.

Haha. If I just went by feel, I'd probably never squat over 315! And benching always feels easy until the very sharp end, so I'd likely always hammer that way too hard.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Going by how you feel on that given day is great -- but how do you know what you actually feel like? Are you using a tendo unit? Are you measuring bar speed, or some sort of biological unit? Personally, I know there are lots of days where I feel like GARBAGE. Actually, every single set of squats or deadlifts I've done in the past year have felt like complete shit; slow, grinding, grody lifts. When I look at the video? They're moving just fine, fast even. Having a lift to hit (a percent of your 1RM for whatever rep scheme) takes the guess work out, and lets you control total tonnage much more easily than going by feel does (and, like I elude to, how you feel often isn't a good representation of how your training is going to go that day).

Unless, of course, we're talking about just going in and doing whatever you want, perhaps trying to break a previous PB at that rep scheme? I'm not entirely sure what we're even discussing anymore lol.

EDIT: And if we're talking about actual progression from week to week, month to month, etc? Personally total tonnage (in essence, specific work capacity) is how I go.

Last edited by Paradox; 05-28-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

It was nice to read the different responses, it always neat to see that everyone has their own unique way of looking at training.

Paradox, for the record, I was talking about actual progression through your taining cycle, not just doing whatever you feel like doing on any given day ...

For example, my style is going in knowing that my progression calls for me to hit 87% of my 1RM for 2 doubles where as some of the guys that I train with go into their squat session knowing they want to hit a double, but will go until they feel they have hit their max weight for a double that day. Then maybe the next week they will work up to a heavy triple or set of 5, depending on their rep scheme. Maybe that clears it up some? haha

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i use the rep goal system, cuts all the crap out and very good for progression.