Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Squats above parallel

Thoughts?

T NATION | Are You Injured Keep Lifting

Quote:
Knee pain is most commonly associated with deep knee bends. The fix for this is simple exercises with a shallow knee bend. The first choice for me is always something that hits the same muscle group, if possible. In this case, it's the quads.

Quote:
3. Go Above Parallel on the Box
The box should be used to keep depth in check. Put your ego on the shelf about hitting depth until your knees feel better. Typically 2-4 inches above parallel is enough to reduce pain drastically.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn
Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

Fix the problem first don't work around it. Besides squatting above parallel puts more stress on the knees.
Muscle and Brawn
All American EFX Rep

Facebook: www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX
and they are my own.

KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

My father in law calls squats, "deep knee bends."
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
Hunterace
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,415, Level: 84 Points: 17,415, Level: 84 Points: 17,415, Level: 84
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Ummmm that's not the way I was taught! Above parallel = knee pain and red lights, below parallel or at least to parallel = good for you and white lights!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
JacktheThriller
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

i agree lots less pain sinking to bottom on knee than trying to pause and go up
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

My knees have thanked me ever since I started going deeper on squats.

Lighten the load and go.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Knee pain in squatting can be caused by any number of things:

- Poor technique
- Tight hips
- Tight IT bands
- Foot angle

I agree that box squats should be done slightly above parallel especially to begin with but that is to be coupled with a wider than usual stance and an upright shin angle to overload hips, glutes and hams not just to enable you to squat high.

Haven't read the article but the above excerpts indicate a clueless author with too much time spent in books and not enough time spent in the gym.
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Speaking personally I vary between parallel and deep squats regularily and have no knees issues, nearing 52 years old. And this is with 6 years of squat varients from heavy to high rep endurance types.

Peace too all of you may you work and earn what you want out of the iron, and flat rock it out!!!!

Get it!

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Drag Race Speed Champion!
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

If you dont mind kittens burning, then by all means, squat high
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I've always squatted deep, because of flexibility that happened to be there already (no idea how or why, but I'm not complaining!) and yet, there's been a couple of guys at the gym who've insisted on commenting on the way I do squats - negatively or "oddly", that is.

The first was a guy older than me, who claimed (and continues to claim) that squatting below parallel AT ALL will kill your knees, regardless. And guess what? That's right: his knees are shot, apparently. But... I doubt he killed them by squatting low. Oh, and he doesn't do any kind of squats. Ever.

The other was a guy younger than me, fairly strong in general (though more in the upper body area, by far), and who thought it was just bizarre, and also "brave" or something along those lines (i.e., I'm totally insane), that I squat "so low". And guess what? That's right: he does some half squats, maybe once a week - if that! - and calls it a day.

The only other people I see doing actual full barbell back squats* (high or low bar; whichever), funnily enough, never seem to have any issues with their knees. And yeah, I don't either, and never have.

Go figure.

* The ones that persevere with lifting and learning about it, and therefore don't have horrendous form, I mean.

Last edited by Dray; 05-25-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote