Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

There is a big difference between "box squatting" and just squatting to a box.
There is also a very big difference between hurting and actually being injured.

If your knee is really injured then you need rest, not squats. During the recoup process, when you are working back to doing heavy squats, a reduced range of motion (ROM) may be all you can safely handle. I'd rather use a box to stop my ROM and not re-injure my knee. Of course this would also mean using light weights and increasing your ROM over a period of time by using a lower and lower box until full ROM is achieved.

I might also add that for lifters with existing and permanent injuries and a serious need to protect themselves from re-injury, a reduced ROM may actually keep them lifting and progressing, where as a full ROM may keep them on the couch with further medical bills.

So basically what I'm saying is, if there is a GOOD reason to reduce your ROM, and it allows you to keep getting stronger and bigger, then go for it. But if there is NOT a good reason to reduce your ROM, then you are just cheating yourself of the full benefits of the exercise. I also think there is bias because of the word "SQUAT" in the article (which I haven't read fully yet). If they had used Dips or BTNP, then I think people would be more apt to agree with the author. I am also not seeing the same bias towards the deadlift.

Last edited by Off Road; 05-25-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Every thing we do is bad for us.

Squat high, squat low....who cares.

The only people that need to be concerned with depth are powerlifters.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
stayaggro
Brawn
Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19

Training Exp: Since Oct '11
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: BTN Push Press
Fav Supp: Black Coffee
stayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good posts

A shallow free squat, there is no way in hell I'd recommend that for knee pain/injury. the box throws in something new I have little experience with. I can see it being less stressful on the knees with a box, but I dunno.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
My father in law calls squats, "deep knee bends."
haha that's right. i think that's what they were called in the original York Barbell manuals
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Haven't read the article...

Personally, I can't jump rope (bear with me) because it affects one knee which I injured a long time ago, I can however squat without pain and I always go to parallel or just below.

Runners do use partial 1/4 squats (or similar) purely for the speed out of the blocks which sets their limbs/joints at that angle. So, they may not utilise full squats as much, whether it affects their knees, who knows.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I agree with OR. Another example is Dave Tate doing high box squats after total hip replacement. However, the way his article is worded just screams stupidity.

Quote:
Knee pain is most commonly associated with deep knee bends. The fix for this is simple – exercises with a shallow knee bend.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Years ago, at my old commercial gym, all my squats were above parallel as I honestly thought that was the correct way to do them, since that is the only way I ever saw anybody doing them. Pretty sad really. However, after joining the forum, I soon came to realize my error and problem. After resetting my weight big time, and using a box to train my ass where to stop, and gaining more flexibility, I finally learned how to get deep after about a year. Good thing too, because at my last meet I got red lighted on my 1st attempt for depth, so I was then forced to bury my next 2 squats. Good thing i had the ability. As far as the knees go, I have never had any knee pain since learning to get deep.

Besides, getting deep is more fun. I am now trying to incorporate a bit of a bounce out of the hole.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1310 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #18
schultzestrength
New Brawn
Points: 323, Level: 6 Points: 323, Level: 6 Points: 323, Level: 6
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 4+ powerlifting,15+ other
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
schultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributorschultzestrength is a dedicated contributor

That was a bullshit article. Sad thing is that its on T Nation and somebody is gonna read it and use it as an excuse to be a pussy cause of knee pain. I actually started powerlifting after a knee injury. For some time my knee hurt a lot but after almost 5 years, it feels better than before I started. I still have pain but it is mild and a lot of time associated with hamstring or quad tightness. I've also been squatting without knee sleeves. That is a first since I started powerlifting.

Who the hell is the author anyway? What's his expertise?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

I don't know, any time I've had knee pain in the past few months while squatting, I just tried to assess what I was doing. Usually I've been able to be pain free after focusing on the direction of my knees at the start of the ascent. Maybe for something else, squatting higher MIGHT be fine at times in terms of preserving the knee.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!