Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default T nation- Grow, ectomporph, grow

Pretty damn good article from T nation. Nice to see someone pushing deadlifts, progression, milk and eggs to the young'uns.

T NATION | Grow, Ectomorph, Grow
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bump. was moderated. Didn't see it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

As an "ectomorph" by any other name, kinda, I find myself partly agreeing and partly disagreeing with the article, as usually happens when I read something off that site.

Low volume has NOT been the more significant key to MY growth (food, of course, being number one regardless) - quite the reverse. Within reason.

And yeah, we're all different, blah. Just thought I'd offer my perspective, such as it is at this early stage.

"Natty" guys (and girls) need more volume to get decent results, by and large. As well as frequency. Intensity would be a matter of the type of programming, I guess.

All IMO, IME, YMMV, and so forth.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
"Natty" guys (and girls) need more volume to get decent results, by and large.
I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with this. I believe it is the over-use of volume that holds naturals back, trying to copy the high volume routines of the guys that are on something. It has been my experience that when guys cut their over-all volume way back that the progress really starts to take off.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I read the article, not too bad, I agree with a majority of it.

But, right off the bat, he lost credibility points for further ms-using the term "Hardgainer".

Being a Hardgainer has nothing to do with people that don't train hard enough or don't eat enough. Training hard and eating enough are THE CURES for being a Hardgainer. The term Hardgainer is simply somebody that is genetically typical. Extreme Hardgainer is a term for somebody that is genetically disadvantaged. Off my soap box now. . .
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Well not much to add, other than that in my experience, and according to many observations IRL, plus considerable reading about pre-roids bodybuilders, etc., etc...

Low volume can work fine for pure strength (numbers) gains. It did for mine, for a while. It might (or might not) even be optimal for that, in some cases. Possibly.

But re: the article, in other words getting people to GROW, I stand by my post in its entirety, absolutely.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Awe yes, that's why I wanted to post this article. There's a lot to think about and agree or disagree with.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

article was given solid advice IMO, enjoyed reading it.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Mmm since when dose a psychological tool shoe horned to fit describe general observable anatomy denote physiology, and physiological respone to exercise?

TBH havn't read the article. No doubt some good some bad. Use of hardgainer + ectomorph = bad lol

People need to do to as much work as poss using effective lifts as opposed to being told they should do as little as possible. Being poorly conditioned to handle robust training isn't being a hardgainer Find your limits seriously before deciding what they are.

I rue the time spent not training on hardgainer plans, during an age when I should have been pushing my limits :]