Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

if you try it, you should post your thoughts here. i'm curious to know if you find it helpful.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
RGRthat
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

Ok, may not be lifting till tuesday though
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
RGRthat
Brawn

RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

I was able to give the hook grip a try but it was at an olympic bar. The added thickness really made it rough. It was just a painful as everyone promised and I will give it a try on a normal 1" bar tues.
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRthat View Post
I was able to give the hook grip a try but it was at an olympic bar. The added thickness really made it rough. It was just a painful as everyone promised and I will give it a try on a normal 1" bar tues.
You could also tape your thumb which takes a little of the discomfort away.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
OneMorePlate
Max Brawn
Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40 Points: 4,036, Level: 40
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Red Meat
OneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master member

Use your double over hand grip for Pulling as heavy as possible then switch to hook grip. As mentioned tape will help but I never used it, you will eventually accept your thumbs are not going to tear off and just block out the pain.
Holds for time will also prove effective.
Doing them in a rack would be advisable adjust the pins so 1) You don't have to do a deadlift to train your grip 2) If your grip fails it doesn't have far to drop. I rotate intensity/weight, shorter rest periods also heavier weights for less hold time.
Times are 60sec for less weight at which point your grip should be being pulled open by the weight to 30sec with more weight going to the same point of grip starting to fail.I always trained them for example heavy 30 sec holds for several sets then next training session switch it up to lighter for longer holds.
These should leave your forearms pumps and trashed, not sure what to recommend for sets as that will depend on the individual.

Pick up a wrist roller that you can slide over a pin in the power rack, put it at shoulder height and roll away till fatigue sets in.

As mentioned not using straps for your back training on all your pulling motions will also help but don't let your grip strength limit your training find a balance while you increase your crush strength.

Not sure if you said alternate grip isn't an option or you find little benefit employing it.
Don't like to use that grip anymore bc of all the claims of bicep injury. Having said that I can do significantly heavier pull work using alternate grip.

Picked up a plate load pinch grip design machine. You can score one of these for $120-200+ absolutely love this thing and has taken my grip strength to another level.
OneMorePlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #26
RGRthat
Brawn

I have heard too many horror stories about people's biceps rolling up like blinds on a window. Though I don't care about flexing I sure would like to avoid that. I have tried straps but I had one come undone on me on a max attempt and now I don't trust them. I also don't like using any equipment if I can avoid it, just a personal thing
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Old 06-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #27
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30

Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

I've been trying to get used to the hook grip for the past week or two, definitely seeing improvement in comfort. A question that came to mind was, is the hook grip dangerous for the thumbs? I've heard people say that it can damage your thumb nerves (which sounds weird to me, but who knows). Anyone here that can shine some light on that?
Kleurplaay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #28
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Not that I know off. I am sure shit happens. However in my experince not often in this case.

Ask some of the WL as they are a body of men and women whom use the tech more than anyone else.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #29
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleurplaay View Post
I've been trying to get used to the hook grip for the past week or two, definitely seeing improvement in comfort. A question that came to mind was, is the hook grip dangerous for the thumbs? I've heard people say that it can damage your thumb nerves (which sounds weird to me, but who knows). Anyone here that can shine some light on that?
I took a look around and there's talk of something posted at Elitefts.com about nerve issues and the hook grip but when I went there I couldn't find anything on that. They do have a great piece on how to implement the hook grip though and pics to go with it which always helps.

You may be able to find the item that I couldn't locate; it's supposedly in their Q&A section.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #30
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

This might be a good place to search the question or to register and ask:

Olympic Weightlifting: Catalyst Athletics