Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast
Default Rows for powerlifters

G'day ,

Just wondering what the community's thoughts are on rows. Personally I have started doing barbell rows after deadlifts, but my back fair shit itself. What do you guys do and why ? Cheers Nath.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

High rep DB rows and BB rows. And cable rows. My deadlift has improved since adding them in
Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
justme
Banned
Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme

i do 3 sets of barbell rows,at 60-80%RM
i found this rows more effective
and pull ups

with upper split
deffenatly good excersises
justme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You can never have enough back strength.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

I do some type of pulling movement every training session except on my squat day. That is, if you don't consider RDL's a pulling movement. With that said, yes, they are very beneficial. I think all the extra pulling has not only helped with my deadlift, but definitely with my squat and bench too. My upper back feels tighter(in a good way) on both the squat and bench than ever before, and I believe that is because of all the extra back work I do these days.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I am not a powerlifter, but who knows, I might choose to compete for the hell of it one day...

Anyway, I do rows day 1 and day 3, and deadlifts day 2 (i.e., in the middle). So yeah, twice a week. I do them (and other stuff) following bench press. Deadlift (and other stuff) follows overhead press.

It works well enough for me, for now. I have definitely found that, since doing rows of some kind, my back has improved a fair bit, from how it was. Didn't start with any rowing, when I began this whole lifting thing.

Yep, I'd say they make a positive difference. Meant to be particularly beneficial for benching and deadlifting, apparently, and that does make a lot of sense to me.

edit: I can't see *all* that much difference between doing medium to heavy sets of barbell rows, vs. dumbbell rows, vs. T-bar rows, vs. cable rows. Just whatever works for the guy (or lass) in question.

Last edited by Dray; 05-04-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Yeah i'm not saying rows have no use in a training program, Since i have been doing them my shoulders have been feeling alot better and my upper back stays tighter on squats so its a great exercise in my opinion, I was just really wondering what version of the mighty row the masses do and why and where they fit it into their programs. I figure I have a technical issue on barbell rows so I guess I will drop some weight off and reset. Just curious thats all.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
BravenFenix
The Big Boss
Max Brawn
Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Fav Supp: Caffeine
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Though rows are more effective at building strength and mass overall and helping the bench, I would rather do pull up/chins after deads as oppose to rows for the simple fact of spinal decompression. On days where I don't have deadlifts is when I would do rows. Anyway everyone is at their own level and have preferences, those are mine.

Lifts: https://www.youtube.com/user/BravenFitness

Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...304#post443304
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Machine rows helped me build a bigger back for benching but I was still missing brute upper back strength. Heavy DB or barbell rows are a must I think.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i like heavy DB rows and BB rows and some chins,

i forgot to say that i'm not a powerlifter, but that is the rows i like doing.

Last edited by leefarley; 05-05-2013 at 03:41 AM.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote