Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Rows for powerlifters (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13574)

skids 05-04-2013 06:37 PM

Rows for powerlifters

G'day ,

Just wondering what the community's thoughts are on rows. Personally I have started doing barbell rows after deadlifts, but my back fair shit itself. What do you guys do and why ? Cheers Nath.

bruteforce 05-04-2013 06:45 PM

High rep DB rows and BB rows. And cable rows. My deadlift has improved since adding them in

justme 05-04-2013 07:20 PM

i do 3 sets of barbell rows,at 60-80%RM
i found this rows more effective
and pull ups

with upper split
deffenatly good excersises

BendtheBar 05-04-2013 07:35 PM

You can never have enough back strength.

Davis 05-04-2013 09:23 PM

I do some type of pulling movement every training session except on my squat day. That is, if you don't consider RDL's a pulling movement. With that said, yes, they are very beneficial. I think all the extra pulling has not only helped with my deadlift, but definitely with my squat and bench too. My upper back feels tighter(in a good way) on both the squat and bench than ever before, and I believe that is because of all the extra back work I do these days.

Dray 05-04-2013 09:30 PM

I am not a powerlifter, but who knows, I might choose to compete for the hell of it one day...

Anyway, I do rows day 1 and day 3, and deadlifts day 2 (i.e., in the middle). So yeah, twice a week. I do them (and other stuff) following bench press. Deadlift (and other stuff) follows overhead press.

It works well enough for me, for now. I have definitely found that, since doing rows of some kind, my back has improved a fair bit, from how it was. Didn't start with any rowing, when I began this whole lifting thing.

Yep, I'd say they make a positive difference. Meant to be particularly beneficial for benching and deadlifting, apparently, and that does make a lot of sense to me.

edit: I can't see *all* that much difference between doing medium to heavy sets of barbell rows, vs. dumbbell rows, vs. T-bar rows, vs. cable rows. Just whatever works for the guy (or lass) in question.

skids 05-04-2013 10:02 PM

Yeah i'm not saying rows have no use in a training program, Since i have been doing them my shoulders have been feeling alot better and my upper back stays tighter on squats so its a great exercise in my opinion, I was just really wondering what version of the mighty row the masses do and why and where they fit it into their programs. I figure I have a technical issue on barbell rows so I guess I will drop some weight off and reset. Just curious thats all.

BravenFenix 05-04-2013 11:54 PM

Though rows are more effective at building strength and mass overall and helping the bench, I would rather do pull up/chins after deads as oppose to rows for the simple fact of spinal decompression. On days where I don't have deadlifts is when I would do rows. Anyway everyone is at their own level and have preferences, those are mine.

LtL 05-05-2013 02:02 AM

Machine rows helped me build a bigger back for benching but I was still missing brute upper back strength. Heavy DB or barbell rows are a must I think.

leefarley 05-05-2013 03:31 AM

i like heavy DB rows and BB rows and some chins,

i forgot to say that i'm not a powerlifter, but that is the rows i like doing.