Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Strongman=secret gear users :D (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13553)

J_Byrd 05-03-2013 07:22 AM

Strongman=secret gear users :D

Go to 34mins.

HAHA, I love how they hide it in strongman. He wore shorts the whole time, then takes them off and what do we see.............multiply jack briefs :D

I just think its funny the WSM hides that kinda stuff. Prob for marketing reasons.

5kgLifter 05-03-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 358475)
Go to 34mins.

HAHA, I love how they hide it in strongman. He wore shorts the whole time, then takes them off and what do we see.............multiply jack briefs :D

I just think its funny the WSM hides that kinda stuff. Prob for marketing reasons.

Vid blocked in the UK, however, I watched it on TV, so...:) See, I need you guys to highlight these things because I wouldn't have noticed it.

In theory, what sort of difference, in terms of possible lbs or percentage to the total etc, would that make? If it's possible to make an educated guess on that kind of thing, that is.

stayaggro 05-03-2013 07:55 AM

I could see it being for marketing reasons. Some bigger comp, I think Fortissimus, was pretty open about it, and the announcers actually talked about the gear the guys were using.

J_Byrd 05-03-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stayaggro (Post 358487)
I could see it being for marketing reasons. Some bigger comp, I think Fortissimus, was pretty open about it, and the announcers actually talked about the gear the guys were using.

I learn something new every day.

J_Byrd 05-03-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 358485)
Vid blocked in the UK, however, I watched it on TV, so...:) See, I need you guys to highlight these things because I wouldn't have noticed it.

In theory, what sort of difference, in terms of possible lbs or percentage to the total etc, would that make? If it's possible to make an educated guess on that kind of thing, that is.

It depends on the person Babs, really hard to say. I always thought I got a ton from mine, but after some raw squats recently, my thoughts are changing. Also the weights they are using are not like a typical barbell so that will change things as well.

5kgLifter 05-03-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 358493)
It depends on the person Babs, really hard to say. I always thought I got a ton from mine, but after some raw squats recently, my thoughts are changing. Also the weights they are using are not like a typical barbell so that will change things as well.

I suppose, it could act similar to a placebo in the form of a psychological safety net, due to the tightness of the briefs, the rebound which they know is available etc...even if there may be little to no carryover from the actual briefs.

A lot of weight lifted, either way; I was impressed when I saw it on TV.

stayaggro 05-03-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 358492)
I learn something new every day.

What I'm really curious is if there are specific things all high level strongmen use in comps, you know, past straps/belts/chalk/etc ... are they all rockin squat suits or is it a personal thing?

stayaggro 05-03-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 358495)

A lot of weight lifted, either way; I was impressed when I saw it on TV.

That is key! That's why I love this forum ... no haters:rockon:

Off Road 05-03-2013 08:17 AM

I've been to a few strongman comps to watch a nephew compete. These guys changed into and out of briefs for the different events. I've heard some say that they love their briefs so much that they wear them to go shopping in :)

J_Byrd 05-03-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stayaggro (Post 358496)
What I'm really curious is if there are specific things all high level strongmen use in comps, you know, past straps/belts/chalk/etc ... are they all rockin squat suits or is it a personal thing?

Brute and I talked about this before. Different meets allow different things. He said their isnt much rhyme or reason that he can tell at most NAS events.