Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

lol briefs are no placebo, at least from what i've seen others do in the gym. if anything's a placebo, it's belts. for someone who always lifts raw and then adds briefs, i've seen it add a significant amount of weight. i've also seen that they can't do a bodyweight squat while wearing them. definitely provide support.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Brute and I talked about this before. Different meets allow different things. He said their isnt much rhyme or reason that he can tell at most NAS events.
Yeah, NAS comps, check the rules. My next one is straps/chalk/belt only for deadlifts, but you could wear a multiply squat suit, bench shirt, and as many layers of KLA 3K knee wraps over your body as you wanted for the atlas stones. The note literally says "If you can wear it, you can use it"

Fortissumus 2008, Poundstone is in a squat suit, Big Z isn't for the cart squat event. Big Z still matches or maybe even beats Derek. In general, they aren't as useful as you don't go as deep in many events, but when there is a squatting event, hell yeah, wear the gear. No glory is coming in second because you wouldn't gear up.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I suppose, it could act similar to a placebo in the form of a psychological safety net, due to the tightness of the briefs, the rebound which they know is available etc...even if there may be little to no carryover from the actual briefs.

A lot of weight lifted, either way; I was impressed when I saw it on TV.
I still get carry over, just not as much as I had previously thought. I also dont use a multiply brief

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
lol briefs are no placebo, at least from what i've seen others do in the gym. if anything's a placebo, it's belts. for someone who always lifts raw and then adds briefs, i've seen it add a significant amount of weight. i've also seen that they can't do a bodyweight squat while wearing them. definitely provide support.
Very true, but carry over various from person to person.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
stayaggro
Brawn
Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: Since Oct '11
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: BTN Push Press
Fav Supp: Black Coffee
stayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Yeah, NAS comps, check the rules. My next one is straps/chalk/belt only for deadlifts, but you could wear a multiply squat suit, bench shirt, and as many layers of KLA 3K knee wraps over your body as you wanted for the atlas stones. The note literally says "If you can wear it, you can use it"

Fortissumus 2008, Poundstone is in a squat suit, Big Z isn't for the cart squat event. Big Z still matches or maybe even beats Derek. In general, they aren't as useful as you don't go as deep in many events, but when there is a squatting event, hell yeah, wear the gear. No glory is coming in second because you wouldn't gear up.
When is your next comp? I'm doing St. Louis' Strongest man tomorrow. and one June 22nd in Belton, which is a bit west, just south of KC. I just realized you were from Southern Illinois, here's to the midwest!
stayaggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I'm hitting Strongman For A Cure on the 18th up in Streator. After that I think my next comp will be PL July 20ish
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
I'm hitting Strongman For A Cure on the 18th up in Streator. After that I think my next comp will be PL July 20ish
5 minutes from home.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
5 minutes from home.
You should come watch, or at least come to heckle me!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Throw stuff at ya

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #20
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

It comes down to competitor and promoter preference. In the case of WSM, that stuff is allowed but it needs to be covered up. WSM is pretty much an advertisement for Met-rx in the eyes of TWI/IMG (the media owners) so advertising competing brands or other equipment is a no-no. Some guys don't use gear even when it is allowed. Savickas and Shaw didn't use deadlift suits for the max deadlift event from WSM 2011 and they were number 1 and 2.