Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Deads from the floor all the time... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13522)

Hunterace 05-01-2013 03:06 PM

Deads from the floor all the time...

I see many, if not most guys, doing some other variation than deadlifts from the floor every week. Some that rarely pull from the floor.

Is this based on strength level, aka once you've reached 2.5x Bodyweight or more? Or is it due to being beat up physically after many years of floor pulls? Is it just a switch to focus on weak areas of the lift!

Just wondering is there anything "wrong" with pulling from the floor week in and week out?

Thoughts.....:)

big_swede 05-01-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterace (Post 357768)
I see many, if not most guys, doing some other variation than deadlifts from the floor every week. Some that rarely pull from the floor.

Is this based on strength level, aka once you've reached 2.5x Bodyweight or more? Or is it due to being beat up physically after many years of floor pulls? Is it just a switch to focus on weak areas of the lift!

Just wondering is there anything "wrong" with pulling from the floor week in and week out?

Absolutely not! If your body can handle it, go for it! I started to do variations since I injured my lower back and recovery started to take forever after that. Whenever I pulled from the floor for more than 3 weeks in a row, I either strained myself or got weaker.

BendtheBar 05-01-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterace (Post 357768)

No, not if you are making progress. Progress trumps everything and simplicity should be ridden until it fails.

I train variations because I deadlift 2x a week and it helps with recovery. Floor pulling is hardest for me. I trained strictly floor for 4 years, with some assistance work after.

With all this said, if someone is floor pulling over 90% week in and week out I think things can get hairy and I advise them to change. I am not a fan of over 90% work on deadlifts. Too much risk, little reward.

big_swede 05-01-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 357774)
With all this said, if someone is floor pulling over 90% week in and week out I think things can get hairy and I advise them to change. I am not a fan of over 90% work on deadlifts. Too much risk, little reward.

I agree. Also pulling heavy of the floor week in and week out effects training the squat and other main ifts aswell since it will put alot of stress on the posterior chain.

SecondsOut 05-01-2013 03:22 PM

i'm not someone with 10+ yrs. experience, so i think that qualifies me as still pretty much a noob. so far, the full exercises themselves -- deadlift included -- have been enough for me to make generally steady progress. i don't feel like i'm strong enough yet to have any real weak points -- i'm just generally weak. hopefully this means i'm not quite near the end of my rope and won't have problems reaching a 500 dl (currently 415).

Squatter 05-01-2013 03:31 PM

I have always thought of rack pulls, deficit pulls, snatch grip, speed pulls etc, as tools to help bust out of sticking points ot form points.

I have also come to believe that pulling both Sumo and Conventional compliment each other well to help improve overall strength. I will be doing both styles from now on along with some deficit pulls.

I am also with Steve that pulling heavy too often is not the way to go for most of us. I was doing that for a time and it just killed me and never did bring me closer to 500.

schultzestrength 05-01-2013 05:02 PM

I'm prolly gonna piss somebody off with this response but I don't care and I'm not gonna sugar coat it.

When I see guys use several variations of the deadlift that don't include full ROM, I just feel that they are lazy. Rack pulls are a bullshit lift in my opinion. It simulates nothing in a real deadlift. Its all Ego. I used to do these a lot and they never got me anywhere. What the hell did an 800+ rack pull equal? A mid six pull. Wow it really didn't help my pull at all.

If you want to get better at the pull, then pull from the floor. You can still do partial movements but always start from the floor. Hell the weight will be lighter but you can jack up the intensity. This is where reps come into play. Quit being lazy.

Some people claim that they can't pull from the floor week in and week out. Well me neither. I pull 3 out of every 4 weeks and each week is a different intensity/set/rep scheme. Going heavy all of the time is stupid. I think pulling more than once a week is stupid as well. You gotta be smart about it and quit being lazy.

J_Byrd 05-01-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schultzestrength (Post 357805)
I'm prolly gonna piss somebody off with this response but I don't care and I'm not gonna sugar coat it.

When I see guys use several variations of the deadlift that don't include full ROM, I just feel that they are lazy. Rack pulls are a bullshit lift in my opinion. It simulates nothing in a real deadlift. Its all Ego. I used to do these a lot and they never got me anywhere. What the hell did an 800+ rack pull equal? A mid six pull. Wow it really didn't help my pull at all.

If you want to get better at the pull, then pull from the floor. You can still do partial movements but always start from the floor. Hell the weight will be lighter but you can jack up the intensity. This is where reps come into play. Quit being lazy.

Some people claim that they can't pull from the floor week in and week out. Well me neither. I pull 3 out of every 4 weeks and each week is a different intensity/set/rep scheme. Going heavy all of the time is stupid. I think pulling more than once a week is stupid as well. You gotta be smart about it and quit being lazy.

You would be hard press to piss anyone off here. I love stuff like this personally. I rack pull. When I was making the best gains on my deadlift I would rotate hights of the pins (never above the bottom of my knee) and stances. Pulled off the floor ever 3-4 weeks. Then started over. Just what worked for me, but I sure as hell never pulled 800lbs.

Soldier 05-01-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 357774)
I am not a fan of over 90% work on deadlifts. Too much risk, little reward.

This. I can train with 90%+ on both bench and squat on a regular basis (usually once a week), but pulling percentages like that tears me up. My deadlift has progressed with a focus on 70-80% and sticking almost exclusively to regular pulls from the floor.

But I'm going to start messing with variations. I've never trained deficit deads, and I think I could really benefit from them, so they'll become a regular part of my training soon. Anything I can do to get stronger with less strain on my back is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

RGRthat 05-01-2013 05:51 PM

I like to pull from the floor but I only work it once a week. I also add deficits and rack pulls. Basically hit the whole thing then work each part seperately. 5x3 DL, 3x4 deficit then 3x4 rack pulls (18")
I feel the deficit helps my start and the rack pulls with a ton of weight help with grip and lockout