Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hip Mobility (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13505)

jwood 04-30-2013 04:33 PM

Hip Mobility

I thought this would be a good topic to discuss. Typically squatters and strength athletes struggle with hip mobility. I want to know what every one does to keep their hips mobile? Either before workouts to get warmed up or on off days to keep those hips opened up.

Many of you know I am recovering from a back injury, now that I have that taken care of for the most part. I want to focus on hip mobility.

My plan for now is to go on youtube every night and find a different hip mobility video from quality sources and do that. Then I will compile the best exercises for me and come up with a pre-workout routine.

Here is a couple vids I watched so far:

Plan on trying this second one tonight.

Post up your favorite vids or exercises!

PhillyDev 04-30-2013 04:51 PM

I'm going to start a mobility log/ Q&A about powerlifting mobility In general. Over all, look at the early pages of Kelly Staratt's mobilitywod page. As a matter of fact watch aloof it and you'll be very versed, but there really is a mobility routine for everyone's weaknesses specifically.

jwood 04-30-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyDev (Post 357383)
I'm going to start a mobility log/ Q&A about powerlifting mobility In general. Over all, look at the early pages of Kelly Staratt's mobilitywod page. As a matter of fact watch aloof it and you'll be very versed, but there really is a mobility routine for everyone's weaknesses specifically.

I have a lot of videos to watch, thanks

LtL 04-30-2013 05:20 PM

I have a playlist on my channel for this. Will post some in the morning.

jwood 04-30-2013 05:55 PM

Kelly Starrett is crazy, or my mobility sucks haha.

I watched episode one where he basically says to get into a full squat position and sit there for 10 minutes.

10 minutes, is insane. I was hurting after 10 seconds haha.

I notice in his videos he says to hold things for anywhere from 2-6 minutes. I have never held a stretch that long. He says to slightly move and contract during this time, but it just blows my mind right now.

5kgLifter 04-30-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 357405)

Kelly Starrett is crazy, or my mobility sucks haha.

I watched episode one where he basically says to get into a full squat position and sit there for 10 minutes.

10 minutes, is insane. I was hurting after 10 seconds haha.

I notice in his videos he says to hold things for anywhere from 2-6 minutes. I have never held a stretch that long. He says to slightly move and contract during this time, but it just blows my mind right now.

Yeah, long stretches with contractions and releases throughout are the way. I do forward bends with contracted quads etc, first time I ever did them was odd but it's a way of making sure that flexibility is not at the expense of strength and can work within strength not against it.

SecondsOut 04-30-2013 07:53 PM

this thread was like custom made for ReefBoy. hope he checks it out.

jwood 05-02-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyDev (Post 357383)

I just want to thank you, I have started watching and completing the mobility wod series by Kelly starret. It is painful now, but it is really helping

Ramrod 05-02-2013 09:54 PM

I'm buying his book...212 Perfect Reviews.... I don't think I have ever seen a perfect 5 star amazon Review that high...

HIThopper 05-03-2013 12:59 AM

I have the book, its pretty darn good