Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Hip Mobility

I thought this would be a good topic to discuss. Typically squatters and strength athletes struggle with hip mobility. I want to know what every one does to keep their hips mobile? Either before workouts to get warmed up or on off days to keep those hips opened up.

Many of you know I am recovering from a back injury, now that I have that taken care of for the most part. I want to focus on hip mobility.

My plan for now is to go on youtube every night and find a different hip mobility video from quality sources and do that. Then I will compile the best exercises for me and come up with a pre-workout routine.

Here is a couple vids I watched so far:

Plan on trying this second one tonight.

Post up your favorite vids or exercises!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
PhillyDev
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

I'm going to start a mobility log/ Q&A about powerlifting mobility In general. Over all, look at the early pages of Kelly Staratt's mobilitywod page. As a matter of fact watch aloof it and you'll be very versed, but there really is a mobility routine for everyone's weaknesses specifically.
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDev View Post
I'm going to start a mobility log/ Q&A about powerlifting mobility In general. Over all, look at the early pages of Kelly Staratt's mobilitywod page. As a matter of fact watch aloof it and you'll be very versed, but there really is a mobility routine for everyone's weaknesses specifically.
I have a lot of videos to watch, thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I have a playlist on my channel for this. Will post some in the morning.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Kelly Starrett is crazy, or my mobility sucks haha.

I watched episode one where he basically says to get into a full squat position and sit there for 10 minutes.

10 minutes, is insane. I was hurting after 10 seconds haha.

I notice in his videos he says to hold things for anywhere from 2-6 minutes. I have never held a stretch that long. He says to slightly move and contract during this time, but it just blows my mind right now.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post

Kelly Starrett is crazy, or my mobility sucks haha.

I watched episode one where he basically says to get into a full squat position and sit there for 10 minutes.

10 minutes, is insane. I was hurting after 10 seconds haha.

I notice in his videos he says to hold things for anywhere from 2-6 minutes. I have never held a stretch that long. He says to slightly move and contract during this time, but it just blows my mind right now.
Yeah, long stretches with contractions and releases throughout are the way. I do forward bends with contracted quads etc, first time I ever did them was odd but it's a way of making sure that flexibility is not at the expense of strength and can work within strength not against it.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

this thread was like custom made for ReefBoy. hope he checks it out.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDev View Post
I just want to thank you, I have started watching and completing the mobility wod series by Kelly starret. It is painful now, but it is really helping
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

I'm buying his book...212 Perfect Reviews.... I don't think I have ever seen a perfect 5 star amazon Review that high...

Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance: Kelly Starrett, Glen Cordoza: 9781936608584: Amazon.com: Books Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance: Kelly Starrett, Glen Cordoza: 9781936608584: Amazon.com: Books
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
HIThopper
Max Brawn
Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

HIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributor

I have the book, its pretty darn good
HIThopper is offline   Reply With Quote