Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Training Upon Waking (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13487)

jwood 04-29-2013 03:36 PM

Training Upon Waking

Now that I am out of work for a little while, I will be training first thing in the morning. I am trying to figure out the best way to do my nutrition and pre-workout supplement.

Lately here is what I have been doing:
Wake up: shake, and small bowl of cereal
-wait 40 minutes
-take pre-workout, go to gym
This works, but I am not sure if it is the best.

What I used to do when I worked a 3-11 shift and trained first thing
Wake up- pre-workout supp
leave for gym
Once at gym drink 1/2 of pre-workout meal shake(just protein and dextrose)
begin training
continue to drink shake finishing shake about halfway through workout.

Just want to see what you guys do if you train first thing?

Which way would be better?

BigJosh 04-29-2013 03:54 PM

I have shifted to training in the morning within the last few months. It has been working great for me.

Upon waking I drink a large cup of coffee with about 20 grams of weight protein isolate.
It takes me about 10ish minutes to drink the coffee/protien. I then immediatly start sipping water and continue to drink water through out my training session.
Usually I begin my session within about 25 minutes of waking.

This seems to work pretty well for myself. The first week kind of sucked, but since then it has felt no different then working out in the afternoon. At this point I actually feel better working out in the morning than I do when I occasionly work out in the afteroon on the weekends.
I have noticed that I am a bit more sensitive to poor sleep or not getting enough sleep, working out in the morning as opposed to afternoon.

If I were to pick one of your methods it would be the latter. To me, I don't think there is really the much benefit to stopping to have a protein shake and ceral beforehand.

jwood 04-29-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 356786)
I have shifted to training in the morning within the last few months. It has been working great for me.

Upon waking I drink a large cup of coffee with about 20 grams of weight protein isolate.
It takes me about 10ish minutes to drink the coffee/protien. I then immediatly start sipping water and continue to drink water through out my training session.
Usually I begin my session within about 25 minutes of waking.

This seems to work pretty well for myself. The first week kind of sucked, but since then it has felt no different then working out in the afternoon. At this point I actually feel better working out in the morning than I do when I occasionly work out in the afteroon on the weekends.
I have noticed that I am a bit more sensitive to poor sleep or not getting enough sleep, working out in the morning as opposed to afternoon.

If I were to pick one of your methods it would be the latter. To me, I don't think there is really the much benefit to stopping to have a protein shake and ceral beforehand.

Thanks josh, I agree with you. The shake and cereal seem to do nothing but upset my stomach

Hunterace 04-29-2013 04:16 PM

I wake at 6-7ish depending on my son. I have a protein shake right after I weigh myself. I also mix up a bottle of BCAAs that I sip on and drink during my workout. I don't eat anything before I train. Normally I lift around 10:00am. No idea if this will help you but there you go ;)

jwood 04-29-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterace (Post 356803)
I wake at 6-7ish depending on my son. I have a protein shake right after I weigh myself. I also mix up a bottle of BCAAs that I sip on and drink during my workout. I don't eat anything before I train. Normally I lift around 10:00am. No idea if this will help you but there you go ;)

All input is helpful, thanks

jwood 04-30-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 356770)
What I used to do when I worked a 3-11 shift and trained first thing
Wake up- pre-workout supp
leave for gym
Once at gym drink 1/2 of pre-workout meal shake(just protein and dextrose)
begin training
continue to drink shake finishing shake about halfway through workout.

Went with this today, woke, pre workout, 15 minutes later started to drink my protein mix.

I had really awesome energy, but this was only conditioning work. I will see on thursday how it works for deadlifts.

schultzestrength 04-30-2013 05:43 PM

I work a rotating swing shift so having any sort of routine is tough. I aim to train at close to the same time every session give or take an hour or two. This means that sometimes its after work, sometimes after waking and sometimes mid-dayish when I'm off work. Basically I aim to eat something an hour to hour and a half before training.

dossas 04-30-2013 06:36 PM

I have been training first thing in the morning for years. I love it and it is my preferred way to train. I wake up and down my preworkout right away. When my preworkout has creatine (when I do strength w/o's), I take it with powdered gatorade. Otherwise, both my preworkouts have aminos in them, but I usually add a scoop or two of Xtend. Either way, I'm good to go about 30 - 45 min, and a washroom break, later.

Rynpel 04-30-2013 10:46 PM

When I train in the morning I usually train fasted, I try and avoid it training in the morning altogether unless I've spent some time on my feet to allow some of the fluid train drain out of the discs of the spine

Dray 04-30-2013 11:14 PM

Two eggs on rye toast is the usual, along with a nice strong coffee.

Then, about an hour or so later, it's gym time (after walking there).

Thinking about maybe four eggs, but I don't want to feel remotely "full". I've tried eating a lot more beforehand, which sucked. Also fasted, and that sucked too. So...

Oh yeah, and I have A LOT of food post-workout, as well as later in the day of course.