Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
stayaggro
Brawn
Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: Since Oct '11
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: BTN Push Press
Fav Supp: Black Coffee
stayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good posts
Default Car Deadlift

For the one to two people who have read my log, you might know I'm doing my first strongman comp in about a week and a half. I found out about it less than a week ago, so it's safe to say I'm the equal opposite of prepared. The only thing I'm really concerned about it the car deadlift (and yoke, but thats a different story). On the entry form, the car is To Be Determined, so I can't really give any details. It's for max reps in 60 seconds. I'm in the novice class. I mean, I plan to just go there, grip it and rip it, hitch the hell out of it, use straps, a thick belt, whatever. But, It still kills me to not know the approximate weight. In your experience, for local competitions, what has been the average car/weight you've encountered. My everyday/training max on deadlift is 500, I know I got more. How do you guys more experienced in strongman think i'd fare?
Thanks a bunch for any help,
Tyler
stayaggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

If its a novice comp I think you will do good with a 500 pull. I have no idea what weight it will be but I would guess 200-250kg for novice? Or slightly above that maybe.

A tip is to move yout feet as much forward under the bar as you can, think about that the bar will move backwards slightly so by standing really close to it you dont risking it getting to far from your body. Also wear baby powder on your thighs to minimise friction and I would suggest wearing thicker socks or kneesleeves on your chins since they will be teared to shreds if not =)

Good luck man!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I'm not a competitor, but I've talked to many who are. I've asked several about the car deadlift and most think it feels between 400 lbs and 500 lbs 'in hand'. Of course it depends on the car being used and the height of the pull. Have fun at the competition.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
stayaggro
Brawn
Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19

Training Exp: Since Oct '11
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: BTN Push Press
Fav Supp: Black Coffee
stayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good posts

Thanks a bunch guys! my confidence in the pull is now up. and thanks for the form tips. Impliments are all new to me. I'm really stoked for next weekend though! thanks again!
stayaggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good luck man, let me know if you need any tips on the events since you never got a chance to try them before.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Car at my last comp was around 600-650 in the hands. However, due to leverage and all the with the frame, it went up a lot easier than that. A 500 DL should give you several reps on a car