Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
RGRthat
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor
Default Mental preperation

I know that the mentality you have when you grab the bar is very important. How does everyone get into the right state of mind for
1) Big lifts
2) Your regular workout

From what I gather there are a couple different methods. I like to do the visualization for the first part and then emotion for the last part of it (trying for PR)
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
northernbulk
Max Brawn
Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: bench
Fav Supp: Whey iso
northernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributor

I get in beast mode
Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
RGRthat
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

Well just because I am a nerd about psychology I have been researching different methods of stimulating the sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight). That constant googling is what brought about the question. Apparently it is stimulated equally by visualization as the actual act of lifting. Discomfort also cause the same reaction as pain or fear.
Apparently each has there own use. Olympic lifts are better paired with visualization, because of how technical it is the emotional path would get in the way of perfect form.
I just find this all amazing in a complex sort of way.
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
BigManBigLiftin
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,904, Level: 26 Points: 1,904, Level: 26 Points: 1,904, Level: 26
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: chocolate milk
BigManBigLiftin is a lifting machineBigManBigLiftin is a lifting machineBigManBigLiftin is a lifting machineBigManBigLiftin is a lifting machineBigManBigLiftin is a lifting machineBigManBigLiftin is a lifting machineBigManBigLiftin is a lifting machineBigManBigLiftin is a lifting machineBigManBigLiftin is a lifting machineBigManBigLiftin is a lifting machineBigManBigLiftin is a lifting machine

To me - look at your biggest squatters raw, look at anyone willing to take 800+ on their back, go downa nd come back up. The kind of anger and emotions going through their head, might scare you.. I personally have a 804lbs squat in competition. And my thought process is anger. I let things fuel me as i think of it. I also visualize it, but that is because its a confidence booster to me, most of my energy persay comes from anger.

Supplement Supersource Sponsored Athlete
http://www.supplementsupersource.com
BigManBigLiftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Before i hit my top set, i spend 10 minutes visualizing. When i get up, i fill my mind with hate.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
stayaggro
Brawn
Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: Since Oct '11
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: BTN Push Press
Fav Supp: Black Coffee
stayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good posts

I either look at the weights on the bar and get this little spark of anger, get under it and go for it. It's controlled, nothing outrageous, just a bit of oomph. That or stare at the squares littering my gym isolating forearms for the 4th time this week and get this "I will never be that" mentality, and perform the lift.

When it comes to workouts, I'm generally ready to do stuff. I'm at the point now where off days kill me and I'm very tempted to go all chaos and pain on that ass. So, I'm always motivated to go to the gym. I do listen to a good dose of heavy, positive, straight edge hardcore. Or really hateful hardcore before I head out. Gets me in a good "Overcome" type mindset. That Dave Tate "Death Squat" video has got me pumped in the past. As well as CT Fletcher's "Snap City" video. But, I'm not a huge fan of having to watch motivational shit to get ready, you should be ready.
stayaggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have "go to" songs I use, primarily "Spirit In Black" by Slayer. For the big lifts I work myself into a frenzy, focus on form, and enter the drop zone and go to war.

I have developed a rage mode over the years that helps me set aside everything but the bar.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
IrishHitman
Max Brawn
Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Chili Oil
IrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beast

I have a different approach than everyone else, it seems. I don't get angry, I don't use hate (hate is a negative thing. I like to keep things positive), and even my heavy music is just stuff I listen to all the time (Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Priest). I take a bit of a zen approach for both regular workout and heavy lifting. I clear my mind of all else go to the bar, and focus on form. I really don't ever feel the weight, if that makes sense. On heavy lifts, I have become a fan of getting jacked up with ammonia. Bench it doesn't seem to have as big of an effect, but that's probably because my setup is longer. I'm a pretty peaceful lifter, as I treat my time in the gym as a mini vacation from the real world. I'm always intense, but smiling as I go to work.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
~Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

1 March 2014
SQUAT: 650 lbs
BENCH: 340 lbs
DEADLIFT: 580 lbs
TOTAL: 1570 lbs
IrishHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

When lifting, I have no music on, it distracts me...I just enjoy the serenity when lifting; I reserve music for cardio, mainly for the beat/tempo.

I internally go through the cues, always double-check the plates.

Do a mini-psyche, only when attempting a new PB though, never with any other lift even if it's only 1kg below the PB.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
TomGJD
Max Brawn
Points: 4,721, Level: 43 Points: 4,721, Level: 43 Points: 4,721, Level: 43
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Creatine
TomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beast

This is a very interesting subject and a favorite of mine. My research has led me to believe much like you mentioned that tapping into emotion and sparking the fight or flight response spikes your adrenaline levels which is proven to increase performance. That and I am naturally calm, collected and friendly, so my normal state doesn't leave me ready to attack lifts like I always need to to succeed with them. In the gym for normal work sets, I listen to music, favourite songs to get me ready are the game by motorhead, walk alone by saliva and can't be touched by roy jones jr. I visualise the lift and how it will feel and generally psych up and get a little angry. I talk to myself and generally say things to convince myself I will nail the lift. In comp for heavier lifts in front of a crowd, I do all the same things but like to completely zone out, turn my back on the platform, work myself into a frenzy, to the point where I am ready to destroy then by the time I turn around I don't even notice the crowd and am ready to throw the weight around. Then once the lift is done I am back to normal and chilled out until my next lift. There is a big parallel between this type of psych up and the viking beserkergang, whereby viking warriors worked themselves into a frenzy to allow them to win in battle and is a technique famously used by one of my personal heroes, Jon Pall Sigmarsson. It helps me, may not work for everyone, but personally I could fail much lighter lifts if I approach them in a calm manner. If nothing else it gives the crowd something different to watch, love it or hate it, as lets face it with the best will in the world by the end of a 10 hour meet the crowd is going to be bored out of their tree no matter how much they like the sport really.I also like to wave to the crowd after lifting and even take a bow at the end. If people take time out of their lives to support the sport I think it is only right to acknowledge them and thank them for the encouragement. These things are not seen much in Irish lifting as we as a nation have an odd tendency to react as if we are embarrassed that people are looking at us. Just as a generalisation I think we take ourselves too seriously. Plus if you worried too much about what people think you would never have any fun in life. Sorry for the long post but lifting psychology or psychopathy as the case may be is hugely interesting to me and sociology was my favorite part of my degree so I spend a lot of time analysing things like this. In short, I get angry. :-)