Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member
Default Squat mentality, does it ever get easier?

Squats have always been hard for me and are still the one thing I dread when I workout. Doesn't matter if it's an easy workout or not, squats always daunt me. I always know they will hurt doing them and hurt later too.

Recently, I've done well improving my sqaut, but everytime I get up around 90%, I still feel scared or apprehensive. I know I can do it, but I also know I can get squished like a bug. And I use safeties. I am in no danger, but still squats scare me.

Bench, deadlifts, whatever. no problem, I can miss them and it doesn't affect me at all. But miss a squat and feel that weight crushing me into the floor, I can't deal with that. It always takes me a long time to recover from that. Why do you think that is?

Why do you think other lifts don't have that stigma with me? Bench is my best lift with best form probably, but it's a weight over my face for goodness sake, but I'm fine after missing one of those. Max deadlifts too hurt pretty bad, but you can just let go. What is it about squats that just drives pain into your soul?

I realize this is a personal thing and some people will say I'm a whiner and just suck it up because that is the thing you choose to do. But I am curious about the affect squats have on various people. Are some people that afraid of bench or deadlifts? I doubt it. What is it about squats?

JB recently missed a 935 squat but came back and grinded up a 1010 on the next attempt. That makes no sense to me at all, gear, no gear, angels, whatever I can't beleive he did that. Sure he can do those weights and had some muscle memeory or whatever other crap I don't beleieve in, but the reality was he missed a gdamn heavy weight and came right back out and hit a heavier one. God willing, one day I will miss 935 and I'm telling you for a fact, my next lift I go out there and get driven into the floor by 500. No kidding.

I can't even comprehend hitting a higher weight than the one you missed. Not that this is all about JB. Just saying, what kind of mind/training/animal instinct does it take to get to that next level with squats?

Late, and long night, just passing through and babbled out somethig that has been bothering me because squats seem to have so much to do with how I feel about the universe.

I respect them, why do they not respect me?

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links