Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Performing Hang Cleans (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333)

BendtheBar 11-29-2009 07:21 PM

Performing Hang Cleans

So school me. I started hang cleans today. At 135 it was easy to lower the weight at do high rep sets. When the weight gets heavier, is this a joint killer?

glwanabe 11-29-2009 07:26 PM

That about the weight I was using. I didn't have joint issues, but I muscled the weight back down, because I don't have bumper plates, and a platform. Tended to tire me out pretty fast, but what a workout.

Bumper plates, and a platform, $$$$$$$$, but man would it be nice.

rippednmichigan 11-29-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 12588)
So school me. I started hang cleans today. At 135 it was easy to lower the weight at do high rep sets. When the weight gets heavier, is this a joint killer?

In for more comments as this was suggested by my trainer.

BendtheBar 11-29-2009 07:38 PM

I have some rubber mats, but I just don't want to drop the heavy sets. And racking the weight after each rep would suck...strip weight, move bar down. Re-load weight. Gack.

BendtheBar 11-29-2009 07:39 PM

BTW, what's a bumper plate?

glwanabe 11-29-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 12598)
BTW, what's a bumper plate?

Rubber encased oly weights.

Dynamic Fitness

go to products, and then weight sets.

Drool stuff.

BendtheBar 11-29-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 12600)
Rubber encased oly weights.

Dynamic Fitness

go to products, and then weight sets.

Drool stuff.

They are just a tad bit pricey. Sheesh.

Jesse Polanco 11-29-2009 11:38 PM

fairly easy lift to learn (hang power clean not hang clean). very hard to get the proper advice on it.

dmaipa 11-30-2009 01:22 AM

True, proper advice is key. Most tend to just muscle up the weight rather than fully understand how to perform the lift

BRaWNy 11-30-2009 02:56 AM

Don't do high reps with cleans imho.
It's an technique based exercise and it's not for straight adding muscles.
Cleans teach you to have power and more functional, and your CNS to become more efficient so you can use better the high threshold motor units.
So they can help you to become more efficient to add muscles and strength with any exercise you use, not exactly Cleans alone.
And because of that reasons, I think they should be done at first in training and I mean before any musclegroup related exercise.
When you get fatigued in musclegroups that will be used with cleans, it's bad for technique.
Another reason, you prime your CNS with them, to have a better workout after.

And because you added them recently and I assume you never used them before, it's another reason to keep the reps low to learn the technique better.
With high reps somebody tends to lose his form.

If you need high total reps with them, do more set of low reps to compensate.
I would never go higher than 5 with them, and I think tripples are good for, and even singles and doubles.
You can also use cluster style with them.