Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #21
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
I'm afraid my bad technique will be crushed by my strength. Then I read Brawn and McRobert tells me to avoid Oly lifts
The guy in the video will be having some joint problems mainly because his elbows stay down to the side rather than racking the bar on his shoulders with elbows facing forward...plus he's using straps! don't do hang cleans with straps, please..hahah.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
The guy in the video will be having some joint problems mainly because his elbows stay down to the side rather than racking the bar on his shoulders with elbows facing forward...plus he's using straps! don't do hang cleans with straps, please..hahah.
I'm not a strap kind of guy.

I'm trying to learn how to get that weight back down for more reps without killing my joints

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #23
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

There is a way to catch it on the way back down, but it's obviously not better than just dropping it. Of course, with iron weights, that's probably out of the question.

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #24
BigFiveFive
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

Cleans (any of them) are a pretty complex lift, there's a lot to watch out for while preforming them, I agree on what Brawny said by keeping reps low, and your thoughts on joint health MAB I would say at your age and lifting experience I would stray from them....IMO
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFiveFive View Post
Cleans (any of them) are a pretty complex lift, there's a lot to watch out for while preforming them, I agree on what Brawny said by keeping reps low, and your thoughts on joint health MAB I would say at your age and lifting experience I would stray from them....IMO
I've been considering that. I do deads, overhead pressing, and BB curls on that day.

If I did replace them, it might be with good mornings or front squats.

I don't know yet. I need more time to process this. I enjoyed them, and I am getting some great advice, but a voice in the back of my mind keeps wondering if they are good for my old body.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:33 AM   #26
BRaWNy
Pain Master
Max Brawn
Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39

Training Exp: ~23 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Back Squat
Fav Supp: Fish-oils
BRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributor

The term "hang" means that you do the exercise from a hang position and not from the floor.
The term "power" is for doing the exercise without the squat.

Hang cleans=from hang position and with squat
Hang power cleans=from hang position without the squat
cleans=from the floor with squat
power cleans=from the floor without the squat

Without the squat means, that you do only a quarter squat to receive the bar.

You can also notify from which exactly position is your hang clean.
For example hang clean from knees, or above knees etc.

And if you use a rack to pull etc, then you can notify as rack power cleans etc.

This is a good site with all the olympic lifts and the drills of them, with videos where you can find all the terms, positions etc
Catalyst Athletics: Resources
BRaWNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #27
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

^ Awesome.

Thanks, homie!

To me, for real explosion and force production, cleans and power cleans are where it's at.

I don't normally suggest them to the average gym rat because of their complexity and lack of coaching, but......none of us are average on here.

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #28
CookAndrewB
New Brawn

CookAndrewB is new to the forumCookAndrewB is new to the forum

I think you really have to know WHY you are using power cleans/hang cleans/etc. Just doing them "because" doesn't make much sense to me. I hear the "power and explosion" argument all the time, but why not just do plyo work? Why load up? Most sports don't have you explosively moving weight (no, sorry, football isn't the same at all, that would be more of an explosive movement INTO something, at which point you basically suffer all the laws of physics. Still, the mass you accelerate is little more than your body weight).

For sports like strongman, olympic lifts make some sense, since you see some replication of these movements in events. But outside of that venue (and of course Oly lifting), I'm not totally convinced this is a worthwhile undertaking for your recreational lifter or even most athletes. If you just want to do it, fine... I buy into a love for trying new things as a legit reason to do it. Everyone should have a couple lifts they just love to do, and do them out of fun and personal desire... but if you don't need them and aren't married to them, it is time to leave them to the pro's
CookAndrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #29
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Why am I doing them? Because I want to try them. It's a challenge. I've been training for 23 years using the same movements, and have never tried any Olympics lifts. I'm as big as I'm going to get naturally, so muscle mass is not a concern. I could pretty much do any split or form of training and it wouldn't impact my mass. So at this point in my life, lifting is about pleasure.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #30
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

amen brother..you lift what you want to lift! leave them to the pros? please, i have my 16 yr old athletes learning them.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote