Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks for the advice. I did 6 rep sets yesterday, and yes...I am very new to them as an exercise. I am used to rest-pause or cluster training, so low reps are not an issue.

I do deadlifts and heavy overhead presses on that training day. My deadlifts are 5 to 8 singles around 80 to 85%. Could I do the deadlifts first?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I would do the cleans first, while your fresh. They would also serve as a good warmup for the deads.

Last edited by glwanabe; 11-30-2009 at 09:02 AM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
BRaWNy
Pain Master
Max Brawn
Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39

Training Exp: ~23 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Back Squat
Fav Supp: Fish-oils
BRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Thanks for the advice. I did 6 rep sets yesterday, and yes...I am very new to them as an exercise. I am used to rest-pause or cluster training, so low reps are not an issue.

I do deadlifts and heavy overhead presses on that training day. My deadlifts are 5 to 8 singles around 80 to 85%. Could I do the deadlifts first?
When you mentioned high reps, I thought you ment higher reps than 6, maybe 8 or 10 or so.
6 reps are not so bad for hang cleans, but I think they should be kept rarely and maybe better after you improve your technique and become very familiar with the movement.

When you do Deadlifts first, you become fatigued at the musclegroups of the posterior chain, and this can have sometimes a negative effect on technique in hang cleans.
When you do hang cleans before Deadlifts, your performance on them will be very good, and the same in Deadlifts after, because power movements like cleans, prime your CNS.
I used to do power cleans after Deadlifts, but lately when I do power cleans I do them before, and they never played a negative role to the Deadlifts after them, actually my performance on Deadlifts became better, or at least, there was no changes in performance between doing Deads alone or first and doing them after power cleans.

Anyway, I think this day with Deadlifts is your light day, so maybe there is no reason to bother, if you feel that your strength is gonna decline on Deads if you will be fatigued from hang cleans, but that would not happen.
Once you get familiar for 1-2 training days like this, you will see that you will keep doing well at Deads, like you do them first thing.

But if you don' t want to do hang cleans in the power fashion, to get more efficient to use the high threshold motor units etc and for power, and you want to do them as Muscle Cleans, where you emphasize more with the muscles in the movement and not power etc, then this is another story and you can do them after deads or relative musclegroup exercises.

I hope you can understand what I wrote.
BRaWNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Brawny...your English is excellent. Much better then you imagine. Thank you for the response.

I will try hang cleans first next time. I might try a 6 sets x 3 reps scheme. I am looking for overall strength, but I want to take my time crawling up in weight while I get used to the movement.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Brawny: Very helpful post. I too am trying to learn cleans (power cleans). I will start doing them before deads.

Also very good english, just realized your in greece. Your english is better than mine and 90% of americans.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 11-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Polanco View Post
fairly easy lift to learn (hang power clean not hang clean). very hard to get the proper advice on it.
Can someone please educate me on the difference between a power clean and a hang clean?

To me, a hang clean is where the bar begins at, or just below, the knees and caught with your quads below parallel.

To me, a power clean is where the bar begins at the floor and caught with your quads above parallel.

By Jesse's and some of Brawny's language, I am sensing that my exact terminology is not correct.

Someone set the record straight for me, please.

Also, not sure when I'd get a chance to make it, but I would love to make a "how-to" on this movement. Seems like lotsa people don't quite get it.

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #17
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthleteCreator View Post
Can someone please educate me on the difference between a power clean and a hang clean?

To me, a hang clean is where the bar begins at, or just below, the knees and caught with your quads below parallel.

To me, a power clean is where the bar begins at the floor and caught with your quads above parallel.

By Jesse's and some of Brawny's language, I am sensing that my exact terminology is not correct.

Also, not sure when I'd get a chance to make it, but I would love to make a "how-to" on this movement. Seems like lotsa people don't quite get it.
please do. i dont get it at all.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 11-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:

Hang clean starts with the knees bent, holding the bar a bit below the knees. Some clean into a full squat, and some just to the shoulders, like this guy:

I perform hang cleans (right now) like the guy in the video, primarily because I'm still learning the movement.

Power cleans are from the floor. I'm noticing that the hips start lower then with deadlifts.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #19
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

Ok. So I was mostly correct in my assumptions.

Your hips do start lower in a powerclean vs. a deadlift.

You also keep your shoulders and upper in a locked position.

Those are just a few little technique things. There's many more....

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Ok. So I was mostly correct in my assumptions.

Your hips do start lower in a powerclean vs. a deadlift.

You also keep your shoulders and upper in a locked position.

Those are just a few little technique things. There's many more....
I'm afraid my bad technique will be crushed by my strength. Then I read Brawn and McRobert tells me to avoid Oly lifts