Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's wrong with this? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13270)

coffeenut 04-10-2013 01:40 PM

What's wrong with this?

I hope this video works.....

Hey guys! I decided to grab my camera today and film my deadlifts. I can clearly see I need lots of work on my technique, but one thing I found strange was what my feet were doing. You can clearly see on the video, that my toes come off the ground at the top of the lift. What is causing this? Also, please feel free to critique my form; I've just recently began powerlifting, and would welcome any tips or pointers you could offer. Thanks for stopping by :)

Since I have less than 15 posts, I am unable to attach a direct link. Please copy and paste into your browser. Sorry..:(

youtube.com/watch?v=OcB057F-8Ss&feature=youtu.be

Bill 04-10-2013 02:04 PM

Your toes coming off the floor is fine.

Soldier 04-10-2013 02:08 PM

Were you looking for overall critiques or just an answer on your feet? It looks to me like as you lift your shifting your weight to the back of your feet. That's why your toes are lifting up. This is a good thing. You should push through your heals as you lock out your deadlifts. I don't think it's an issue. In fact, I think I do the same thing, lol.

coffeenut 04-10-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 348342)
Your toes coming off the floor is fine.

Good to hear. Thank you!

coffeenut 04-10-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 348346)
Were you looking for overall critiques or just an answer on your feet? It looks to me like as you lift your shifting your weight to the back of your feet. That's why your toes are lifting up. This is a good thing. You should push through your heals as you lock out your deadlifts. I don't think it's an issue. In fact, I think I do the same thing, lol.

Any type of feedback on my overall technique would be greatly appreciated. I'm glad to hear that the toe thing is not an issue. Thanks for the reply :)

Soldier 04-10-2013 09:00 PM

Well, the main issue I see is that you aren't tilting your hips forward in your setup. That's why your lower back is rounded. This forces you to use your lower back to lift, and doesn't let you access the strength in your glutes and hamstrings. It's also just a dangerous position from which to lift.

A good way to get the feel of it is just to stand up and bend forwards from the hips, facing your hip bone towards the ground. You should feel a huge stretch in the hamstrings when you do it. If you can't get it, then try bending forwards with a heavy arch in your back and stick your butt out. That should give you the feel of it. Next time you set up to deadlift, tilt your hips forward the same way. It'll feel weak at first, but keep the weight light and stick with it.

coffeenut 04-12-2013 09:37 AM

I appreciate the feedback, Soldier. I will certainly keep the weights light, until my technique improves. Happy lifting!

doublechin 04-12-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeenut (Post 348973)
I appreciate the feedback, Soldier. I will certainly keep the weights light, until my technique improves. Happy lifting!

I think that this is the way to go. I had some issues with some of my lifts as well and it was because I did not have good techniques. I used lighter weights and got the form and all down, and I did notice that helped me greatly. Best of luck to you:)

coffeenut 04-12-2013 03:02 PM

Thanks for the comment, doublechin. I always make sure to check my ego at the door before entering the gym. I'll get the numbers I want eventually :strongsmiliete4:

ruelisla 08-21-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 348346)

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeenut (Post 348430)
Any type of feedback on my overall technique would be greatly appreciated. I'm glad to hear that the toe thing is not an issue. Thanks for the reply :)

I Agree with soldier. When you do your lockout it seems that your toes is the one who balance it. The reason why your toes goes up is when you lockout it tends like you are swinging backwards and not doing lockout at all.

here is what you should do. When you pull the bar upwards when you lockout, you should lockout for at least 2 to 5 seconds and then go down.
So it wont look that your not swinging backwards.