Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Traing with doms (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13213)

Reefboy1980 04-05-2013 06:30 AM

Traing with doms
 
I've been doing the 5x5 programme for a while now & decided I wanted to add more volume so on Wednesday I added some accessories which ice cream fitness recommends on his novice programme.
Now I didn't go heavy on these accessory lifts but I'm sore as fcuk, I should be training again today but I feel this is a bad idea.

So my question really is should you train when you have DOMS?

Soldier 04-05-2013 07:14 AM

Absolutely. Don't go by soreness to know if you've recovered. If, however, you find that your strength levels begin to suffer, then you'll know that you haven't recovered from your last session and need to back off a little.

I find that training actually improves my doms and loosens me up.

Reefboy1980 04-05-2013 07:36 AM

Trouble is I'm due to do ohp & deadlifts today but my chest & triceps are so sore that I just can't visage lifting my arms above my head.

A little soreness I would carry on but this is very sore

nacho 04-05-2013 07:48 AM

Don't be afraid to take an extra day off. Muscles grow at home, not in the gym.

stayaggro 04-05-2013 08:10 AM

Feel it out. Take it easy on the overhead work, really take your time warming up. If it ends up being too much, just do some lighter technique work.

Off Road 04-05-2013 08:11 AM

It is also why you should add new stuff in slowly, give yourself a chance to adjust.

Reefboy1980 04-05-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 346300)
It is also why you should add new stuff in slowly, give yourself a chance to adjust.

I thought I did, the accessory work I added was all pretty light as I didn't want to fry my muscles but I guess that was still too much in one go after the heavy compounds

BendtheBar 04-05-2013 09:14 AM

As long as you warm up properly and use good form you'll be fine. If the DOMS are severe to the point where they impact form I would rest.

BendtheBar 04-05-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefboy1980 (Post 346308)
I thought I did, the accessory work I added was all pretty light as I didn't want to fry my muscles but I guess that was still too much in one go after the heavy compounds

Just curious how long that workout ran? Someone was asking me about that program and it looked like it might take a while each day.

SecondsOut 04-05-2013 09:52 AM

Nothing original to contribute, just want to say that these have been my experience as well:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 346277)
I find that training actually improves my doms and loosens me up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 346320)
As long as you warm up properly and use good form you'll be fine. If the DOMS are severe to the point where they impact form I would rest.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.