Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!
Default Strength building in the gym for Strongmen.

Ive used this program with great sucess this spring getting ready for competition season as a strongman this year. Ive set PRs in events every saturday so far this year (I think?)

Its a very simple and easy to follow. You will have 4 mayor sessions and If you do them in a week or in ten days is up to you. I also had events
training every saturday so on my busy weeks it took me 8-10 days to rotate.

Day 1: Bench Primary, OH Press secondary

A, Work up to a daily max on a bench press variation, follow it by doing 2-5 downsets with 2-3 reps. Go real heavy here and aim for a PR on
your single.

B, OH Press, 5 sets of 5-10. I alternate here and use strict, db's, bhn, pushpress or jerks.

C, Triceps exercise - I prefer floor presses since they help with my lockout on the overhead lifts.

D, Chins and curls and rear delts

Day 2: Leg day

A, Back squat, daily max and then 2-5 downsets, every other week you can alternate with 3-5 sets of higher reps but it depends on
how you feel.
B, Leg Press or frontsquat for 5 sets of 5-10
C, Do the quad or hamstring work you need to get stronger (target weak points)
D, Abs, planks, weighted.

Day 3: OH Press Primary, Bench secondary

A, Max out on a OHP, I like to alternate between strict Military, Log and Push press. The usual downsets of 2-5x2-3
B, Bench Press or Incline Bench w paus for 3-5 sets of 8-10
C, Triceps
D, Chins and curls and rear delts

Day 4: Deadlift day

A1, Front squat - I alternate between Pulls and fronties as my first exercise, one week is heavy squat and a lil lighter deads
and vice versa. I either work up to my daily max followed by downsets, or do something like 3x5-8 on the frontsquat.

A2, Deadlift or block pull, you can pick a program to follow thats 1d/week or just play it by feel. I alternate weeks between
Max, max w band, speedpulls and repetition weeks. On the max weeks I work up to a daily 1,2 or 3RM and then do downsets from there or
something like 6x2-3 with a fixed weight. Trick here is to know your limits to recover properly.

B, Rows. Real heavy! 5 sets of 10 or more

C, Lat pulldowns or chins

D, Planks, preferably weighted

Thats it. Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Last edited by big_swede; 04-04-2013 at 12:41 PM.
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

That is a good looking program, Swede. Only question would be how much one can expect to gain using it!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Looks really good.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100

big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good luck to those who want to give it a go!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:11 AM   #5
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

nice set up.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Good stuff Swede, actually similar to what I am doing now just a little tweaked based off my time requirements etc. I can definitely see how it would help you or anyone in strongman improve.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
big_swede
Max Brawn

Bump if anyone wants a change =)
Old 04-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Could do 3 days a week if need be, rotate fourth day into next week if i miss it. I'll definitely keep this in mind.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Rynpel
Human Garborator
Brawn
Points: 1,179, Level: 18 Points: 1,179, Level: 18 Points: 1,179, Level: 18
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Rynpel is a consistent contributorRynpel is a consistent contributorRynpel is a consistent contributorRynpel is a consistent contributorRynpel is a consistent contributorRynpel is a consistent contributorRynpel is a consistent contributorRynpel is a consistent contributorRynpel is a consistent contributorRynpel is a consistent contributorRynpel is a consistent contributor

Personally I'd have more back work, I currently row everytime we're in the gym, since the lats/upper back is the second most important muscle group other than the legs, since you're always rowing in events whether its stones, cleaning a log, a hassefelt stone, farmers.
Rynpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
big_swede
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynpel View Post
Personally I'd have more back work, I currently row everytime we're in the gym, since the lats/upper back is the second most important muscle group other than the legs, since you're always rowing in events whether its stones, cleaning a log, a hassefelt stone, farmers.
I agree, I have added more rows and also hang cleans or hang snatches since they are great for upper back aswell.