Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Strength building in the gym for Strongmen. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13206)

big_swede 04-04-2013 12:38 PM

Strength building in the gym for Strongmen.

Ive used this program with great sucess this spring getting ready for competition season as a strongman this year. Ive set PRs in events every saturday so far this year (I think?)

Its a very simple and easy to follow. You will have 4 mayor sessions and If you do them in a week or in ten days is up to you. I also had events
training every saturday so on my busy weeks it took me 8-10 days to rotate.

Day 1: Bench Primary, OH Press secondary

A, Work up to a daily max on a bench press variation, follow it by doing 2-5 downsets with 2-3 reps. Go real heavy here and aim for a PR on
your single.

B, OH Press, 5 sets of 5-10. I alternate here and use strict, db's, bhn, pushpress or jerks.

C, Triceps exercise - I prefer floor presses since they help with my lockout on the overhead lifts.

D, Chins and curls and rear delts

Day 2: Leg day

A, Back squat, daily max and then 2-5 downsets, every other week you can alternate with 3-5 sets of higher reps but it depends on
how you feel.
B, Leg Press or frontsquat for 5 sets of 5-10
C, Do the quad or hamstring work you need to get stronger (target weak points)
D, Abs, planks, weighted.

Day 3: OH Press Primary, Bench secondary

A, Max out on a OHP, I like to alternate between strict Military, Log and Push press. The usual downsets of 2-5x2-3
B, Bench Press or Incline Bench w paus for 3-5 sets of 8-10
C, Triceps
D, Chins and curls and rear delts

Day 4: Deadlift day

A1, Front squat - I alternate between Pulls and fronties as my first exercise, one week is heavy squat and a lil lighter deads
and vice versa. I either work up to my daily max followed by downsets, or do something like 3x5-8 on the frontsquat.

A2, Deadlift or block pull, you can pick a program to follow thats 1d/week or just play it by feel. I alternate weeks between
Max, max w band, speedpulls and repetition weeks. On the max weeks I work up to a daily 1,2 or 3RM and then do downsets from there or
something like 6x2-3 with a fixed weight. Trick here is to know your limits to recover properly.

B, Rows. Real heavy! 5 sets of 10 or more

C, Lat pulldowns or chins

D, Planks, preferably weighted

Thats it. Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

MikeM 04-04-2013 02:55 PM

That is a good looking program, Swede. Only question would be how much one can expect to gain using it! :)

Off Road 04-04-2013 03:57 PM

Looks really good.

big_swede 04-05-2013 03:08 AM

Good luck to those who want to give it a go!

leefarley 04-05-2013 03:11 AM

nice set up.

Shorts 04-05-2013 08:14 AM

Good stuff Swede, actually similar to what I am doing now just a little tweaked based off my time requirements etc. I can definitely see how it would help you or anyone in strongman improve.

big_swede 04-28-2013 04:19 PM

Bump if anyone wants a change =)

EliteDreams 04-28-2013 05:33 PM

Could do 3 days a week if need be, rotate fourth day into next week if i miss it. I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Rynpel 04-28-2013 06:10 PM

Personally I'd have more back work, I currently row everytime we're in the gym, since the lats/upper back is the second most important muscle group other than the legs, since you're always rowing in events whether its stones, cleaning a log, a hassefelt stone, farmers.

big_swede 04-29-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rynpel (Post 356406)
Personally I'd have more back work, I currently row everytime we're in the gym, since the lats/upper back is the second most important muscle group other than the legs, since you're always rowing in events whether its stones, cleaning a log, a hassefelt stone, farmers.

I agree, I have added more rows and also hang cleans or hang snatches since they are great for upper back aswell.