Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How would you prep 4 weeks out of a meet? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13195)

RobMoriRB 04-03-2013 03:48 PM

How would you prep 4 weeks out of a meet?

I just want to get a sense of how one would prep 3-5 weeks out from a meet.

LtL 04-03-2013 03:52 PM

You should be peaking around then but that's part of a much longer process. If you're planning on doing a quick meet in a month, train under meet conditions, practice commands and sort out your openers. No real training a week before and set to it.

RobMoriRB 04-03-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 345689)
You should be peaking around then but that's part of a much longer process. If you're planning on doing a quick meet in a month, train under meet conditions, practice commands and sort out your openers. No real training a week before and set to it.

I am planning on doing a Meet in august, and im just wondering how would I go about it.

Shorts 04-04-2013 08:56 AM

Like LtL said a lot of it is about peaking. I know that I peak perfectly when I run a 7 week meet prep. 6 weeks of lifting with linear progression and then on the 7th week a light day on Monday that just keeps the blood flowing before the meet.

Definitely do all of your lifts to whatever standards the federation has and have someone giving you commands on your lifts so you get your body used to it.

MikeM 04-04-2013 09:59 AM

If it's one of your first meets you do, I wouldn't change anything except take a week off the week before the meet and try not to injure yourself in that last month. Really be smart and try not to do something too heavy and either miss it or hurt yourself, neither of which is good. You can't get much stronger in the last month, but you can get much weaker!

Wendler has a nice plan where you hit a week of singles around 95%+ four weeks out, then your second attempts three weeks out, then openers for a week, and rest the last week.

Also, start getting your diet in order as early as possible to make your weight (if you need to make a weight) as that will be a lot better than trying to cut in last couple weeks. To me, Coan had the best advice there. He said just start eating cleaner carbs as early as you can to taper down to the weight you need. I did that this time around and it seems to work well, but we'll see. haha.

I'm learning that going into a meet healthy and stress-free as possible is a lot better than trying to grind out and extra five pounds on some lift in the last month.

My .02 on this somewhat generic topic. Ask again in July if you have any more specific questions as every last month for everyone is going to be a bit different. I don't think there is a single "plan" that fits all.