Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Having trouble w/ deadlift (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13191)

RGRthat 04-03-2013 10:24 AM

Having trouble w/ deadlift

Deadlift is the lift that I have the least experience in so I figured I would see the most gains. Though I did see some it was out paced by my squat increases. I have also heard that you should be able to DL more than you can squat which is not the case in my maxes. So I have decided to place deadlift first in my workout and add some light weight sets for volume.

Currently:
Squat 6 sets
Bench 6 sets
DL 6 sets
OHP 5 sets

Potential:
DL (heavy) 5 sets
OHP 5 sets
Squat 6 sets
Bench 6 sets
DL (light for high reps w/ fat gripz) 3-4 sets for double reps

let me know what you all think. This is not my only workout but it is my full body setup that I do twice a week.

bruteforce 04-03-2013 10:34 AM

I don't see weight or reps or a progression scheme listed for deads, so not sure what the real plan is here.

What is your current max for each lift?

Why fat gripz?

RGRthat 04-03-2013 10:53 AM

currently my maxes are B 315 S 385 DL 365
each cycle goes like this for all but OHP
week 1 6x2
w2 6x3
w3 6x4
w4 6x5
w5 6x6
the goal is to maintain 87.5% for all of these then re max

MikeM 04-03-2013 10:57 AM

I also recently saw my squat go past my deadlift, but I am hoping to reverse that very soon.

For me, it wasn't programming, it was form. My squat form got pretty good, while my deadlift form did not. Now that I have recently figured out how to deadlift better, I am pretty sure I will cruise past my squat pretty soon.

I am planning increased volume, though. Now that I feel I know what I am doing, it will take the volume (i think) to get my deadlift really moving up to where it should be, in my opinion. But, I doubt more volume with my earlier form would have helped much at all.

SecondsOut 04-03-2013 11:15 AM

::looks around::

okay, i'll be the one to take on the hated, unpopular, unpleasant role of suggesting that perhaps the difference in numbers is due to your squat depth. you can't fake deadlifts: you either pick it up or you don't. but you can certainly reduce depth in squats. are you 100% sure that this isn't the case? maybe your deadlift actually is higher than your legit squat number.

before you try to slice my throat, keep in mind that i haven't seen you squat, so i have no idea! consider posting vids of your lifts.

RGRthat 04-03-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondsOut (Post 345554)
::looks around::

okay, i'll be the one to take on the hated, unpopular, unpleasant role of suggesting that perhaps the difference in numbers is due to your squat depth. you can't fake deadlifts: you either pick it up or you don't. but you can certainly reduce depth in squats. are you 100% sure that this isn't the case? maybe your deadlift actually is higher than your legit squat number.

Don't worry, I want to hear what will make me strong not what will make me think I'm strong.
I have someone that can call my depth for me and I may be able to have someone shoot a video for me. I will look in to it and see.

RGRthat 04-04-2013 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I had someone what me squat and call depth. My new squat max is 20lbs lighter than I thought, which is okay with me. What is not is that my favorite pair of gym shorts did not survive the workout. I also had to leave before I was done because there is an unwritten rule about not placing my bare butt on the bench... who knew

5kgLifter 04-05-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGRthat (Post 346195)
So I had someone what me squat and call depth. My new squat max is 20lbs lighter than I thought, which is okay with me. What is not is that my favorite pair of gym shorts did not survive the workout. I also had to leave before I was done because there is an unwritten rule about not placing my bare butt on the bench... who knew

Sorry, nothing to add...but I can't see how a split pair of shorts would constitute placing your bare butt on the bench, I'd imagine their are females that use the gym that have leotard style get-up on and that would be the same as undies, in coverage terms...I just don't follow their policy on that.

leefarley 04-05-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGRthat (Post 346195)

thats funny, i destroyed 3 pairs of jogging bottoms last year squatting.

RGRthat 04-05-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 346241)
Sorry, nothing to add...but I can't see how a split pair of shorts would constitute placing your bare butt on the bench, I'd imagine their are females that use the gym that have leotard style get-up on and that would be the same as undies, in coverage terms...I just don't follow their policy on that.

They just generalized it as inappropriate attire which didn't bother me too much because I had to get leave to change before class.