Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morerep View Post
Ha ha ha...you need help bro. That's why is done at the gym with assistance. I have a video by overkill in how to stretch he arms. Like JByrd also said...get the chest plate wet and also you can add baby powder to your arms. But shirts are not design to buy today and use it to or row. Is a project...take time and patience. By the way...watch your arms...they like to bite!!!
No worries. I came into this very aware of what I was getting into, and like I said I knew I wasn't going to be touching today, or next week, or the weeks after or...well, you get the idea.

Haha, my arms look like they were whipped with a switch. Again, I did my reading and knew this would be the case.

Baby powder, good call. That should help the sleaves keep moving after they get past the slippers.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

That sleeve stretching idea is GENIOUS. I don't have a rack like that, but I have 2 bars and I can definitely rig something up. That's WAY better than stretching by blowing up a ball in the sleeve.

Last edited by Soldier; 04-02-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I need a shirt......
I need to catch JBs 700....

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
evilinmotion
Evil Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 18 (13 powerlifting)
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: MHP
evilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributor

Type 2 Diabetic / A1C: 12.9% @ 07 Aug 2013
evilinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
northernbulk
Max Brawn
Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: bench
Fav Supp: Whey iso
northernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributor

keep getten it bro hope u get used to it
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #16
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I agree with JB: wet the chest plate and maybe the back of the sleeves a little and that should help it stretch a bit. If it's choking you out then the collar is too high; get your hands inside and pull it down to give yourself a bit of man cleavage then pull the slack out of the stomach area and belt it in place. Lastly I would highly recommend (again) doing a couple of sessions with people who know what they are doing. It took me a session with an experienced lifter in the gym to realise that I hadn't actually ever got the sleeves all of the way up before You know this though, I'm just repeating it for my own amusement I think

Once you get it on and loosened a bit, 400+ is no problem for you.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #17
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

First, I will say that if you have never been in a shirt before and got it on by yourself, it's not to small, but probably to big. It may be the right size because you can't get it seated properly. The Katana material stretches alot. When I get a new shirt, I cannot get my fingers out to the rings on the first set. By two sets into it, my fingers are out and by the end of the first training session, I'll touch. Every set you do, you will stretch the shirt some. I would not stretch the sleeves yet. If your arms aren't going numb, they're not to tight.

You should NOT be shirt training alone. You have to use extreme weights to get the shirt to work. Just unracking heavier weight can tear up your shoulders. I can't stress enough how important training with experienced shirt lifter is. Both for safety and learning. I'm not sure where Ft Hood is, but I know Mike Womack has a gym in Dallas. Mike's one of the best around. If you want his contact info, I can get it for you. Going it alone can also be very frustrating. Shirt benching has a much different groove than raw benching. You can't raw bench in a shirt. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
Soldier
Max Brawn

HUGE thanks to those who have offered advice.

It's true that I may have been able to get the sleeves on a bit better if I had help, but even though the sleeves weren't even close to seated well I still got marks on my arms and I started to go a bit numb in the hands after a while with the shirt on. The fact that the sleeves weren't on all the way but I still had some numbness tells me that the sleeves are a bit too tight.

I'm going to continue to lose weight (my diet is going well se far), and after I've lost a few lb I may try to stretch the sleeves just a little bit. I'll also wet the chest plate and sleeves and see how that all works out. I certainly don't want to stretch it out and find that once I get the hang of it and lose some weight I've stretched it too much.

My arms are SORE today! All I did was unrack 375 twice. The stress on the body is definitely different with gear. I see what people mean when they say it's a different game altogether.

Ryano, I train with safety rails set just below my chest. Just the other day I failed with a slingshot on and simply set the weight on my chest and allowed it to lower onto the rails. I've done it a few times without issue. The rails come all the way up to my face as well. I know things can happen fast with a shirt, so I'm not taking chances.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
Soldier
Max Brawn

A quick update-

I contacted Mike Womack about possibly working together. He offers 1-2 hour sessions of coaching for $50, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. I'm going to contact him again after a couple months (work is crazy right now) and set up a time. A 3 hour drive one way and $50 are both fine by me to have a couple sessions to learn from one of the best benchers in history.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #20
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

That will be awesome.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote