Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member
Default How do you find the weight of big tires?

I got a tire to flip today and was wondering how much it weighs. I googled it, but haven't had much luck, but I'm also not the best internet researcher.

It's a Michelin 660/65R25 or there's also 27/65R25 on there too in smaller letters. It measures 4' 9" diameter and tread width is 2' if that helps any.

Just curious, and wondering if there's a resource out there to find the weight of these things?

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Since these are heavy duty tires, I suspect no one worries too much about their weight...I can't find it either....

Try emailing Michelin?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Excel
New Brawn
Points: 1,733, Level: 24 Points: 1,733, Level: 24 Points: 1,733, Level: 24
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Excel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good postsExcel has made some very good posts

Presuming you don't have a "pallet truck scale" easily available for direct readouts...

You might get an approximation with a bathroom scale placed on a flat/level concrete slab at one end of a plank, with the other end of the plank resting on a board (about same height as the scale) atop same-level concrete as the scale, and the tire near the 'board' end of the plank. This is a "bridge" not a "teeter-totter" lever setup.

Measure the distance from the plank to tire centerline, and from plank to scale, which gives you the leverage factor. Assuming the plank can hold the weight, a 500 pound tire at 1' from the supporting board should press on the scale with about 100 pounds at 5' away.

If you think the tire is around 500-600 pounds, try half-and-half distancing to keep scale readings within 250-300 pounds (i.e. within typical scale capacity, and you might even determine the halfway point by eye).

The above method allows estimating the weight of heavy odd objects lacking available specs. Good luck!

(Probably should place the board first, then read the 'tare' weight of the board alone, then put the tire atop it. Subtract that 'tare weight' from the scale reading, before doubling the "tare-subtracted scale reading" for the half-and-half distancing etc. One can also get tweakier with a short 2x4 across the scale to better define the lever arm distance...which can affect your tare reading also.)

The few full-size truck scales I've encountered read-out weight to the nearest 20 lbs, so you can probably achieve equivalent or better precision with this method.

If you have a big flippable tire stored outdoors, as I did, and it fills up with rainwater -- one solution is to get a very strong drill and circular holesaw (maybe 2" diameter) and core-out a piece in the center of the tread. Be advised the rubber can be unbelievably abrasive and grippy, this stripped all the factory white paint off the hole saw. But it did provide an adequately large hole that did not clog thereafter, as long as the tire was stored with that hole directly downward, atop gravel. Eliminating standing water is important if you have mosquitos in your area.

...hopefully the above is more useful than the glib answer to the thread title "How do you find the weight of big tires?": "I find them to be rather heavy, thank you."

Last edited by Excel; 03-31-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: more info
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn
Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

There are a few charts online. Try googling strongman tire weight
Muscle and Brawn
KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

We just called a big tire company / service facillity and asked them to check in their database. They usually have all numbers.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

This is my goto chart.

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/resou...ire_weight.pdf
Old 04-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn

KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
That's the one!
Muscle and Brawn
Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
evilinmotion
Evil Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19

Training Exp: 18 (13 powerlifting)
Fav Supp: MHP
evilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributor

Just found 2 models from bridgestone with similar dimensions to that one...one is 590 and the other 660

Type 2 Diabetic / A1C: 12.9% @ 07 Aug 2013
evilinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Thanks for the replies! The guy I got this from swears it's 600. I thought it was less because I could lift it a little and move it around without too much trouble. Didn't try to flip it, though. Maybe it is 600. Cool. I'll play with it after the meet and see how I do.

That Ontario spreadsheet is cool, but no Michelin.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
KCStrongmanben
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn

A 600lb tire for the average strength athlete would be a good middle of the road tire. That's the weight that was used for the lightweights back when I was heavy into strongman.
Muscle and Brawn