Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Smolov squat cycle (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13115)

Soldier 03-29-2013 10:44 AM

Smolov squat cycle

My squat sucks. I've always seen people with comparable squats and deadlifts, but the difference between mine is huge. I can pull my squat max like it's nothing at all. I'm in my first week of Sheiko 30, and I think it's going to work out quite well. I should have gains in all 3 lifts coming fast and strong soon. But after my trip through Sheiko 30 (and maybe 32) I'm thinking of trying a Smolov 13 week cycle to get my squat up.

I know Smolov is pretty intense, but I'm down for that.

Anyone have any experience with Smolov? I'm looking to move into single-ply lifting soon, but first I want to get my raw numbers up.

Off Road 03-29-2013 10:53 AM

I think it's pretty common for a guys deadlift to be significantly ahead of his [to real depth] squat. My deadlift stays about 100 lbs ahead of my squat despite the fact that I don't even train it that much.

Soldier 03-29-2013 11:37 AM

I wouldn't say that I think that there's anything particularly wrong with my numbers. I'd say instead that if there's one number I'd really like to improve it's my squat. Hopefully I'll be over 4 soon, but I'd really prefer closer to 450.

sleepingdog 03-29-2013 12:01 PM

I tried to run smolov a while back, and it was definitely taxing. I would seriously consider it the main factor in two injuries that had me off lifting for a little while. You're probably more prepared for it than I was then though.

Soldier 03-29-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepingdog (Post 343710)
I tried to run smolov a while back, and it was definitely taxing. I would seriously consider it the main factor in two injuries that had me off lifting for a little while. You're probably more prepared for it than I was then though.

I've been doing some reading, and I've found that many people try it who aren't really prepared. Not to say that you are an example of this! But I think that people read stories of adding 100lb to their squat in 13 weeks and get in over their heads looking for a shortcut. Although I'm certainly a fan of methods that bring quicker results, I'm not in it for that. It's just about trying different things, extreme as they may be, to see what works best.

As I said, I'm already experimenting with volume via Sheiko, so if it works out well Smolov seems like a logical next step.

ravimolasaria 03-29-2013 12:35 PM

It is one of the best program for Squats. I did it just not so long back. I didn't added 100+lbs to my squat but yes I did added50 lbs and my 1RM goes from 435 to 485. The program is intense but the results are there besides that if it was this easy then everybody will be doing it ... But I must say you should give it a try ... I'm about to run a variation of same program for my bench from next week ... :)

Soldier 03-29-2013 12:44 PM

Nice. Good luck on your bench!

Paradox 04-02-2013 02:12 PM

Haven't tried Smolov yet, but I'd like to chime in and say that I think you should do at LEAST one more cycle before you do 32. Three months is a lot better than two months when talking about "Sheiko."

Soldier 04-02-2013 02:55 PM

Thanks paradox. Sheiko is going VERY well so far, and I think I'll be able to ride this program for a while. I may run 30 twice then see how well 32 goes to get me to peak. I've never run any kind of peaking program, so it'll be interesting to see how I react. After that I may think about doing a Smolov run.

Paradox 04-02-2013 04:34 PM

No problem. I'm sure you've already made some nice gains from it, but I personally think that the first month is more of a work capacity adaptation than a pure strength gain. Plus, the first time I tried Sheiko, it was for three months lol. Bias. Glad to hear it's going well for you so far. A friend of mine ran Smolov and got quite a bit out of it. Plus, Ravi, as he mentioned, got nice gains (and he was already a proficient squatter).