Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   This is what powerlifting is all about (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13076)

J_Byrd 03-26-2013 10:09 AM

This is what powerlifting is all about

I really think he puts this sport into prospective.

EliteFTS - Superior Products and Knowledge for Lifters, Athletes, Coaches, and Trainers

brad1224 03-26-2013 10:17 AM

i don't power lift but i have so much damn respect for you guys. you guys have perfect form and the amount of work and effort you put into the training is above any sport! that was a great read

Dray 03-26-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad1224 (Post 342534)
i don't power lift but i have so much damn respect for you guys. you guys have perfect form and the amount of work and effort you put into the training is above any sport! that was a great read

Agreed. It's an amazing sport, and if it's getting more publicity these days? Well deserved, I say. :cool:

Bill 03-26-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 342528)

funny how it's the complete opposite at a meet.

the meet i did was short handed. In a room filled with lifters, friends, family, and training partners, nobody stepped up to help with spotting. I did.

J_Byrd 03-26-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 342540)
funny how it's the complete opposite at a meet.

the meet i did was short handed. In a room filled with lifters, friends, family, and training partners, nobody stepped up to help with spotting. I did.

I think that is the exception, not the norm. Most well organized meets have that stuff taken care of long in advanced, but I still use my own spotters on most occasions.

Beverly McD 03-26-2013 10:57 AM

Good article. We run our place the same way.
No dues. Show up for the workouts and work hard while you're there.
We've had the same core group for many, many years.

J_Byrd 03-26-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly McD (Post 342556)
Good article. We run our place the same way.
No dues. Show up for the workouts and work hard while you're there.
We've had the same core group for many, many years.

Yep, we have had the same 4 people for 12 years. The other two have been training together for 20 years before that.

sleepingdog 03-26-2013 02:42 PM

I wish I could settle in one place long enough for that.

EliteDreams 03-26-2013 05:48 PM

Love it.

PhillyDev 03-26-2013 06:39 PM

We spoke of this at the gym ,and Adam was very opined about this. It all stems from a facebook post that Joey Smith from Nebo Barbell posted about our senior handler, and lifter Tony being the most important guy on our team. Adam basically sums up our combined sentiments very well in that post. Adam, Brian, Clint, Tony, Keith, Jason, Chase, Anthony, Filipe, Josh, and I are the most important at any given time depending on any specific person's perspective. JB may be the only one who knows, but this is our entire team. As a lifter, to you the most important people are the spotters who hold your safety in their hands, and as the spotter, the lifter you are spotting is the most important person in the gym, you may need to save that lifter from serious injury, god forbid. One thing I must say about this situation this FB post brought up is that, if I had the option of training in any gym in all the world regardless of who it may be with, I wouldn't change a thing. I'd be in Adam's backyard Mondays, Wednesday, and Saturdays, and any other day of the week for that matter. Not Westside, not SuperTraining, not North Georgia Barbell, nowhere period. Not only is it because of the friends I have here, or the weight these guys move,or the knowledge they possess, but also the ideals we share as a TEAM.