Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Raw lifting will always be a bigger part of powerlifting. You need zero equipment and it is something you can do on your own. Gear is the polar opposite of that.

I think if powerlifting will ever be "mainstream" it will be raw lifting.
I think there's more to it than that. People here about guys squatting 1000lb and it seems completely unreachable, but 500lb raw? Still hard, but possible. Raw lifting is realistic, while gear is a whole different world.

I'm just getting into gear myself, as you know J, but it makes total sense to me that people are into raw meets. I hope gear doesn't disappear altogether tho! It's the Top fuel dragster to drag racing's weekend warrior. Not many people do it, but it has definitely has it's place.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I hope gear doesn't disappear altogether tho! It's the Top fuel dragster to drag racing's weekend warrior. Not many people do it, but it has definitely has it's place.
I have heard that description before.

To be honest, if I thought the strongest people in the world lifted raw, I would ditch my gear and see if I could hang. I dont think that though, I think they lift in gear.

exceptions to the rule of course, but most of the raw freaks also have lifted in gear.

I think Efferding breaking the 275 raw wr is one of the most impressive feats of strength in powerlifting I have ever seen.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I just want to lift more weight so am cheating my way to do so using gear
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Some good points in the article, some less so.

Surely PLUSA finishing was simply the internet?

Funny he should mention both gears in a negative way given the lifters he rubbed shoulders with. Off course the gear wasn't the same as single ply is now let alone multi-ply. However I don't think that has really effected powerlifting overall. Just added options for some. Bad judging isn't great. However this effects a minority of powerlifters.

Bottom line [reg popularity, and tv etc] is powerlifting is just not that great a spectator sport if your not into lifting. It cannot compete with what's on TV now, or even back in the 70s. It was still a minor sport then. Even when comparing it to the 3 strength sports; weightlifting and strongman it's prob less viewer friendly.

I am all for as many people as poss in my sport. However it's just not going to have the profile it did.. if it ever really did?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Raw lifting will always be a bigger part of powerlifting. You need zero equipment and it is something you can do on your own. Gear is the polar opposite of that.
This ^

I've never really had any interest in geared lifting. I still think it's awesome, but I just lack interest in it. It's like monster trucks. Biggest baddest trucks on the planet, but I'll probably never drive one.

For the amateur learning what they can on the Internet and attempting to apply it solo at the local gym or in their garage, geared lifting is out of reach, so it makes sense that newcomers would lean raw.

I took something more than just gear bashing from that. If there is a lack of standardization between the feds, then maybe it's time to address that. If there was just one set of rules, it might make it easier to bring in spectators that consider the current set up too complex for something that should be simple.

Powerlifting is a sport that I feel deserves a lot of respect. I don't think anyone can make a living off of PL, and if someone is, there aren't many that do. That means that everyone else who continues to do it despite the lack of financial kick back, are going out there and busting their asses for the love of the iron and to better themselves.

It's also hard to put into perspective for someone that doesn't lift, just how awesome some of the feats that are performed really are.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
EdCoan-StrengthInc
Brawn
Points: 1,213, Level: 19 Points: 1,213, Level: 19 Points: 1,213, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Over 30 yrs
Fav Exercise: squating over 900 lbs
EdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributor

I love the fact that powerlifting is having a resurgence! I look at guys like Eric Spoto and what he is doing for the benchpress in terms of raw benching and other people like him for the "big three" and its inspiring to see it getting done.

When I was at the Arnold this year and my web guy can attest for this they sear amount of people looking and asking questions (from average joe looking guys to the big and powerful) just wanting to do the right kind of lifts and assisted lifts etc...

It was amazing... I love going to things like that and meeting people and just watching.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

The funny thing about gear is that people will say "These guys bench 900lb! That's insane!" Then you'll explain to them what a bench shirt is and they react like "Oh, nevermind."

IT'S STILL FREAKING IMPRESSIVE TO BENCH 900 G-D POUNDS!

But again, the guys who do it well make it look easy. Most people have no idea how good people at the highest level of sport truly are until they actually get the chance to go up against them.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

All sports go through phases, sometimes because it has been brought to people's attention via coverage which, let's face it, is what generally catapults a sport ahead in terms of its popularity.

On the other hand, there are so many different sports out there, even within the same field, such as lifting based, that people will be drawn to what appeals to them and oftentimes what they have a knack or driving passion for will dictate which sport they pursue.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
evilinmotion
Evil Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 18 (13 powerlifting)
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: MHP
evilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributorevilinmotion is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
No idea if this applies elsewhere, but around here, there's been pretty much an explosion of gyms opening up over the last few years or so. Most of them the 24 hour kind, sure, but even most (maybe all?) of those actually do have weights, benches and so on. Seems to be a more popular pastime in general, IOW.

Also, I would say Crossfit has made barbells in particular more "acceptable", and just more well-known to the public, in ways other than in the Olympics every 4 years - assuming any given viewer is even going to see the weightlifting then...

I know, Crossfit cops a lot of flack, but credit where it's due, I reckon.

And I might be wrong, but it looks a lot like more and more people in general (not just those competing in sports) being aware of the benefits of resistance training, every year. Could make them more likely to appreciate powerlifting? Maybe start training themselves - even have a go in a local comp...!

edit: Also, I agree that powerlifting-style training gets pushed on forums a lot.
I agree with this too... I have been looking at a few sites to buy some equipment for my house (gotta buy the house first) and there is a link between crossfit and powerlifting in all the equipment ie; racks,bars,plates,benches etc.... Considering how mainstream crossfit is (even the military!) Its not too hard for the hardcore crossfitters to go online looking for stuff to buy and suddenly they end up looking at powerlifting or see the word "powerlifting" on a site and then they get curious and start doing research about powerlifting...

Type 2 Diabetic / A1C: 12.9% @ 07 Aug 2013
evilinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote