Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor
Default What is a beginner?

I know it's been brought up as a sidebar in a few places, but I'd like to hear what different opinions are out there regarding the question "Am I a beginner?"

Do you think it has to do with experience in training, the amount of weight a person is capable of lifting, whether they are still in their "linear progression"?

Let's hear some different views on what you think seperates the beginner from intermediate.

This is a question of opinions, not a debate. If someone has a differing opinion, I expect the usual MAB respect for their opinion!

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

A beginner is someone still learning how to eat and lift to maximize gains. They haven't reached their stride yet, and are still trying to figure out how to do both in a manner that is efficient.

At some point in time, when a beginner has established a quality track record of making consistent gains, they enter that late beginner/early intermediate stage.

Intermediates, to me, are the mucking years. A lifter knows what is required, and rides these years out until soft walls are hit. They listen to their body, and learn to evolve their training.

I know many intermediates and even late intermediates who do not grasp proper form, so while I would like to include that in my definition, I hesitate because it's not a requirement to get big and strong.

In my opinion if you are doing it right, you can exit the beginner stage as early as 6 months. BruteForce and T-Bone are good examples of these types of lifter. They "got it" right from the start, stayed with a program, didn't hunt for magic, and made quality first year gains. (There are many other examples on the forum)

On the other hand, I see many lifters who've been at it for years who are still beginners. This can happen for many reasons. Usually a big reason is trying to hit too many goals at the same time, not allowing much strength and muscle to be built.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46

brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

BTB to clear it up! very nice

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1224 View Post
BTB to clear it up! very nice
His is a great explanation to be sure, but the goal is to see what various thoughts are out there rather than make a definite answer.

How about you Brad? How does your mind define the beginner?

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46

brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingdog View Post
His is a great explanation to be sure, but the goal is to see what various thoughts are out there rather than make a definite answer.

How about you Brad? How does your mind define the beginner?
True true.

Its hard for me since I'm not a power lifter so i don't worry about the weight but what i would consider a beginner would be someone who has to learn what a "diet" is or just amount of food/timing and what types of foods do what. A beginner would be someone who doesn't know that you can't lift every body part everyday.

i personally don't think a "beginner" has anything to do with how much you lift or what kind of movements you can and can't do. Just the base which is diet and just getting in the gym and doing a body part a day, just something simple to follow.

hope that makes sense.

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote