Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Soldier
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%
 
Soldier's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,154
Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Reputation: 254560
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Time for a program(ming) change; Sheiko?

I LOVE writing programs. I've done so much reading and researching over the years, and figuring out what combination of movements, frequency, intensity, and volume will work best is a fun puzzle to try to solve.

That being said, I've never run a program I haven't written. Because of this, I've started to question myself. Am I doing what's best for myself by writing my own programs? I feel like I am, but I don't have the experience to know that for sure. Also, the fact that I write my own programs (and enjoy doing it) means I end up switching far too often, and even though I follow the main rules (lift heavy, lift often, lift consistently), I think that changing philosophies over and over is hurting my progress.

I want to try to run a program I didn't write. I'm leaning heavily towards Sheiko CMS right now. I know, it's more intense than the 3 day sheiko programs, but over the course of the last year I've built a huge work capacity. I spent months doing pretty intense Army PT every morning, then lifting for over an hour almost every day after lunch. Now it seems like no matter how much volume I throw at myself it's still not enough to really shock my system.

I also downloaded a spreadsheet for Sheiko CSM that makes it insanely easy to plan out my sessions.

Thoughts?
__________________
Current PRs at 242, raw w/ wraps- 525, 355, 605, 1485
Roboro tui, perimo vester adversarius
(Build yourself, destroy your enemy)
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Soldier
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%
 
Soldier's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,154
Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Reputation: 254560
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default

__________________
Current PRs at 242, raw w/ wraps- 525, 355, 605, 1485
Roboro tui, perimo vester adversarius
(Build yourself, destroy your enemy)
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Soldier
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%
 
Soldier's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,154
Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Reputation: 254560
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default

Ok, now I'm looking at doing sheiko 30. I hate the idea of only training 3 days a week, but I'm reading lots of positive reviews. And if I want to add some extra work on a 4th day I'll just do something less intense than the 4th day of CMS.
__________________
Current PRs at 242, raw w/ wraps- 525, 355, 605, 1485
Roboro tui, perimo vester adversarius
(Build yourself, destroy your enemy)
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Disciple X
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
 
Disciple X's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 1,707
Training Type: Powerlifting
Reputation: 42429
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine
Default

I've seen guys get great results from sheiko, and i've seen a lot bomb out. Lol. If you think you can handle it, give it a shot!
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Paradox
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
 
Paradox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,125
Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Reputation: 62336
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I want to try to run a program I didn't write. I'm leaning heavily towards Sheiko CMS right now. I know, it's more intense than the 3 day sheiko programs, but over the course of the last year I've built a huge work capacity. I spent months doing pretty intense Army PT every morning, then lifting for over an hour almost every day after lunch. Now it seems like no matter how much volume I throw at myself it's still not enough to really shock my system.

I also downloaded a spreadsheet for Sheiko CSM that makes it insanely easy to plan out my sessions.

Thoughts?
Work capacity in this sense may not translate to being able to complete Sheiko CMS. You need a very specific work capacity to finish these sessions properly, namely the ability to squat, bench, and deadlift often and "hard."

What did this lifting for an hour everyday consist of usually? I'm not saying you CAN'T do it, I'm just saying that push ups, running, pull ups etc (PT stuff) may not directly translate into the type of work capacity you need for Sheiko.

PS: I run Sheiko. I'm about to finally start CMS programs after almost a year of running it (Probably ~9 months on numbered Sheiko programs). Feel free to read through my old log, and to come ask questions in the new one. I'll keep checking back here.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Paradox
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
 
Paradox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,125
Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Reputation: 62336
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Ok, now I'm looking at doing sheiko 30. I hate the idea of only training 3 days a week, but I'm reading lots of positive reviews. And if I want to add some extra work on a 4th day I'll just do something less intense than the 4th day of CMS.
Just saw this post.

I like Sheiko 30 a lot. It's "only" three days a week, but you can definitely add in an extra 4th day (I made mine all upper back work and some core). If you choose appropriate training maxes, you can also add more squatting or benching into the mix on a 4th or even 5th day.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Soldier
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%
 
Soldier's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,154
Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Reputation: 254560
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Just saw this post.

I like Sheiko 30 a lot. It's "only" three days a week, but you can definitely add in an extra 4th day (I made mine all upper back work and some core). If you choose appropriate training maxes, you can also add more squatting or benching into the mix on a 4th or even 5th day.
Actually, paradox, it was your post about your next training cycle that got me to finally read up on Sheiko. You're a beast, so if it works for you I want to give it strong consideration. Knowing that you've used the numbered programs to get to this point makes me more confident in giving 30 a try.

I may run 30,31, and 32 and see how I respond to the peaking program. I've never competed, but would like to try at some point in the next year, so if i respond well to this I can use it to peak again at that point.

I'll check out your old log. I got most of my current results from high frequency+high intensity, but I want to see how I respond to volume. I also absolutely love the idea of doing a movement, then going to something else, then going BACK to it again in the same session. It's one of those programming concepts that make you smack yourself in the head and say "Why didn't I think of that?!"

Oh, one question. If you use gear, how did you integrate it into the Sheiko programming? I'm looking to get into single ply lifting.
__________________
Current PRs at 242, raw w/ wraps- 525, 355, 605, 1485
Roboro tui, perimo vester adversarius
(Build yourself, destroy your enemy)
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Paradox
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
 
Paradox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,125
Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Reputation: 62336
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Actually, paradox, it was your post about your next training cycle that got me to finally read up on Sheiko. You're a beast, so if it works for you I want to give it strong consideration. Knowing that you've used the numbered programs to get to this point makes me more confident in giving 30 a try.

I may run 30,31, and 32 and see how I respond to the peaking program. I've never competed, but would like to try at some point in the next year, so if i respond well to this I can use it to peak again at that point.

I'll check out your old log. I got most of my current results from high frequency+high intensity, but I want to see how I respond to volume. I also absolutely love the idea of doing a movement, then going to something else, then going BACK to it again in the same session. It's one of those programming concepts that make you smack yourself in the head and say "Why didn't I think of that?!"

Oh, one question. If you use gear, how did you integrate it into the Sheiko programming? I'm looking to get into single ply lifting.

That seems fine to run (30,31,32). It should give you a little indication if things are working well or not.

I rarely, if ever, bother "coming back" to the movement lol. I'll do it all at once. Some people like the coming back part though, and if you do, all the power to ya.

As for the gear, I don't have any experience running Sheiko with gear, only the hear say of some pretty knowledgeable lifters. Unfortunately, they all agree it's easier to just program your own cycles using the philosophies of Sheiko (eg. Prilipen's chart, the volume/intensity modulation, etc). If you were to just use Sheiko numbered programs and gear, I'd take a gander at your straps down and straps up maxes, and use those separately.

As for bench shirts, train in one a size larger than the competition size, so that you can actually touch, or get closer to touching at least.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Soldier
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%
 
Soldier's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,154
Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Reputation: 254560
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
That seems fine to run (30,31,32). It should give you a little indication if things are working well or not.

I rarely, if ever, bother "coming back" to the movement lol. I'll do it all at once. Some people like the coming back part though, and if you do, all the power to ya.

As for the gear, I don't have any experience running Sheiko with gear, only the hear say of some pretty knowledgeable lifters. Unfortunately, they all agree it's easier to just program your own cycles using the philosophies of Sheiko (eg. Prilipen's chart, the volume/intensity modulation, etc). If you were to just use Sheiko numbered programs and gear, I'd take a gander at your straps down and straps up maxes, and use those separately.

As for bench shirts, train in one a size larger than the competition size, so that you can actually touch, or get closer to touching at least.
Well, at this point I don't actually own any gear anyways, so no worries. I can't afford multiple shirts just for training, but that's where my slingshot comes in. I love my slingshot! The thing gives me more than some people get from a shirt.
__________________
Current PRs at 242, raw w/ wraps- 525, 355, 605, 1485
Roboro tui, perimo vester adversarius
(Build yourself, destroy your enemy)
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
Paradox
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
 
Paradox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,125
Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Reputation: 62336
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Well, at this point I don't actually own any gear anyways, so no worries. I can't afford multiple shirts just for training, but that's where my slingshot comes in. I love my slingshot! The thing gives me more than some people get from a shirt.
That would work just fine for some overload work. The real beauty of Sheiko is how much practice you get in the lifts. Hence, doing partial movements, or movements that aren't exactly the same as competition, aren't as ideal as the competition lifts themselves. It (the slingshot) will certainly work for now though! Especially if you've never even been in a shirt.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After 9 cycles of 5/3/1, it is time for a change. BigJosh Muscle Building and Bodybuilding 35 01-29-2013 09:03 AM
Sheiko CMS DieselWeasel Powerlifting & Strength Training 12 10-18-2012 11:58 AM
Time for a change? BendtheBar General Board 8 07-26-2012 02:45 PM
Time for a change BendtheBar Muscle Building and Bodybuilding 11 02-23-2011 11:22 AM
Master This Bodybuilding Program: Peary Raderís One-Day Program Of Specialization Rev Iron Gladiator General Board 0 11-17-2009 07:19 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.