Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Total Body Workout? Try the Deadlift (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12992)

EdCoan-StrengthInc 03-21-2013 04:51 PM

Total Body Workout? Try the Deadlift

I was talking to a guy the other day and he mentioned that he always worked his back but never did a deadlift before because he thought it worked mostly his legs!

He also made mention that he was really "focusing on working out his whole body" I told him my friend you NEED to do deadlifts!

I always incorporated a variety of deadlifts within my back routine including sumo, traditional as well as stiff legged. Heck even the Romanian Deadlift is a good one to change it up with. But the reality is there is no better exercise to work nearly your entire body and here is why:

A properly performed deadlift (Which the Ed Coan Deadlift Routine emphasizes), requires thighs, hips and the lower back to break the weight from the floor; The lower latissimus and mid –erectors kick in as the barbell slides up the shins and over the knees, crawling up the thighs, the upper lats, rhomboids, teres and trapezius lock the weight out. Even peripheral muscles like the glutes and hamstrings are stimulated by deadlifts! Pretty amazing right? p90x might make you sweat... but the deadlift works your body!

I absolutely cannot stress this enough that every single muscle in the back receives a muscle building, strength infusing, jolt from a properly applied form of deadlifts.

Happy Deadlifting!

Ed Coan

bruteforce 03-21-2013 04:53 PM

You're in the right place. Most of us here are deadlift fanatics.

Cutty 03-21-2013 05:11 PM

Deadlift is my favorite lift by far.

Off Road 03-21-2013 05:13 PM

See, I'm not crazy :)
Good tip and I agree, you've come to the right place.

CZERWIEC 03-21-2013 05:13 PM

Welcome, I have a picture of you and my daughter (aapf worldchamp 2005) signed and hanging in my gym, from the Arnold . You've inspired alot of lifters thanks

ErnieLilliebridgeJR 03-21-2013 05:29 PM

It's good to see you on her Mr.Coan. I can't thank you enough for all the help and tips you gave me the day before I squatted in the animal cage. It was a blast to hang out with you. Thank you for the T-shirt I wear it with honor! We would love to come and get a deadlift session with you sometime in the near future. Take care buddy.

Ernie Jr

5kgLifter 03-21-2013 05:43 PM

Yeah, I recall mentioning the DL in a PM to Steve, sometime ago now, in relation to which muscle groups it hit; because I suffer from TOS, it means that certain muscle groups notice what has occurred, with a vengeance at times, and those muscle groups let me know very clearly that the DL hits a lot of the body areas that others may not even notice have been hit because their bodies can tolerate and absorb the impact better than mine in that sense.

I was impressed and as already stated we're a bunch of DL nutters too which helps.

Kevsworld 03-21-2013 06:41 PM

Ed, it's AWESOME to see you here on this board! Getting to hear from an elite powerlifter is a privilege.

moeheep 03-21-2013 07:41 PM

Deadlifts are the single greatest exercise ever invented......

Glad to see you here Mr Coan

IrishHitman 03-21-2013 11:43 PM

Great to have you here. Deadlifts are gaining on squats as my favorite lift. Maybe with your influence, they'll win that race.