Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
EdCoan-StrengthInc
Brawn
Points: 1,213, Level: 19 Points: 1,213, Level: 19 Points: 1,213, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Over 30 yrs
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: squating over 900 lbs
EdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributorEdCoan-StrengthInc is a dedicated contributor
Default Total Body Workout? Try the Deadlift

I was talking to a guy the other day and he mentioned that he always worked his back but never did a deadlift before because he thought it worked mostly his legs!

He also made mention that he was really "focusing on working out his whole body" I told him my friend you NEED to do deadlifts!

I always incorporated a variety of deadlifts within my back routine including sumo, traditional as well as stiff legged. Heck even the Romanian Deadlift is a good one to change it up with. But the reality is there is no better exercise to work nearly your entire body and here is why:

A properly performed deadlift (Which the Ed Coan Deadlift Routine emphasizes), requires thighs, hips and the lower back to break the weight from the floor; The lower latissimus and mid –erectors kick in as the barbell slides up the shins and over the knees, crawling up the thighs, the upper lats, rhomboids, teres and trapezius lock the weight out. Even peripheral muscles like the glutes and hamstrings are stimulated by deadlifts! Pretty amazing right? p90x might make you sweat... but the deadlift works your body!

I absolutely cannot stress this enough that every single muscle in the back receives a muscle building, strength infusing, jolt from a properly applied form of deadlifts.

Happy Deadlifting!

Ed Coan
EdCoan-StrengthInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

You're in the right place. Most of us here are deadlift fanatics.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

Deadlift is my favorite lift by far.
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

See, I'm not crazy
Good tip and I agree, you've come to the right place.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
CZERWIEC
Brawn
Points: 1,591, Level: 22 Points: 1,591, Level: 22 Points: 1,591, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: many years
Training Type: Strongman
CZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good postsCZERWIEC has made some very good posts

Welcome, I have a picture of you and my daughter (aapf worldchamp 2005) signed and hanging in my gym, from the Arnold . You've inspired alot of lifters thanks
CZERWIEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
ErnieLilliebridgeJR
Powerlifter
New Brawn
Points: 734, Level: 14 Points: 734, Level: 14 Points: 734, Level: 14

ErnieLilliebridgeJR has made some good postsErnieLilliebridgeJR has made some good postsErnieLilliebridgeJR has made some good postsErnieLilliebridgeJR has made some good postsErnieLilliebridgeJR has made some good postsErnieLilliebridgeJR has made some good postsErnieLilliebridgeJR has made some good postsErnieLilliebridgeJR has made some good postsErnieLilliebridgeJR has made some good postsErnieLilliebridgeJR has made some good postsErnieLilliebridgeJR has made some good posts

It's good to see you on her Mr.Coan. I can't thank you enough for all the help and tips you gave me the day before I squatted in the animal cage. It was a blast to hang out with you. Thank you for the T-shirt I wear it with honor! We would love to come and get a deadlift session with you sometime in the near future. Take care buddy.

Ernie Jr
ErnieLilliebridgeJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Yeah, I recall mentioning the DL in a PM to Steve, sometime ago now, in relation to which muscle groups it hit; because I suffer from TOS, it means that certain muscle groups notice what has occurred, with a vengeance at times, and those muscle groups let me know very clearly that the DL hits a lot of the body areas that others may not even notice have been hit because their bodies can tolerate and absorb the impact better than mine in that sense.

I was impressed and as already stated we're a bunch of DL nutters too which helps.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Kevsworld
Brawn
Points: 2,611, Level: 31 Points: 2,611, Level: 31 Points: 2,611, Level: 31

Training Exp: 20+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Creatine Mono, Protein
Kevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality posts

Ed, it's AWESOME to see you here on this board! Getting to hear from an elite powerlifter is a privilege.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Deadlifts are the single greatest exercise ever invented......

Glad to see you here Mr Coan

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
IrishHitman
Max Brawn
Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Chili Oil
IrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beast

Great to have you here. Deadlifts are gaining on squats as my favorite lift. Maybe with your influence, they'll win that race.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
~Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

1 March 2014
SQUAT: 650 lbs
BENCH: 340 lbs
DEADLIFT: 580 lbs
TOTAL: 1570 lbs
IrishHitman is offline   Reply With Quote