Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ken Nowicki: Log Lift (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12981)

5kgLifter 03-21-2013 10:49 AM

Ken Nowicki: Log Lift

I saw this guy on tv a while ago and was impressed with his smooth technique which looked seamless. This is the only vid I can find, at present, and it's not as smooth as it was when I saw him on tv but he still doesn't appear to hesitate and just rolls the thing straight up to overhead...path of least resistance:

bruteforce 03-21-2013 10:58 AM

Nice find Babs. Dude is a power house.

brad1224 03-21-2013 11:02 AM

wow! thats all i can say

5kgLifter 03-21-2013 11:16 AM

That's what I thought when I saw him on the log lift; unlike the other strongmen that I'd seen, he never took the log to shoulder height but seemed to bypass the pause that most seem to employ at that point in the lift and it looked like he utilised the momentum more to just keep it moving once he'd got it on the run, so to speak.

Figured you guys might be interested...there may be a better vid somewhere with him doing more reps but no idea where, at this point in time.

bruteforce 03-21-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 339649)
That's what I thought when I saw him on the log lift; unlike the other strongmen that I'd seen, he never took the log to shoulder height but seemed to bypass the pause that most seem to employ at that point in the lift and it looked like he utilised the momentum more to just keep it moving once he'd got it on the run, so to speak.

Figured you guys might be interested...there may be a better vid somewhere with him doing more reps but no idea where, at this point in time.

I've seen that technique from a few other super strong pressers. From what I can tell, it mostly means the log is very light for him. Big Z does something similar, and I'm pretty sure I've seen Kaz do it with lighter logs too.

If you do find other videos, I'd be really interested. I wonder what he looks like with a near max weight, if he can still use the same tech or not

CZERWIEC 03-21-2013 11:29 AM

I could only dream of doing that

big_swede 03-21-2013 12:04 PM

I do the same up to about 90 kg, when it gets heavy its a whole other thing and the clean takes more out of you. That log was probably not over 80% of his 1rm so he makes it look easy! =)

5kgLifter 03-21-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 339652)
I've seen that technique from a few other super strong pressers. From what I can tell, it mostly means the log is very light for him. Big Z does something similar, and I'm pretty sure I've seen Kaz do it with lighter logs too.

If you do find other videos, I'd be really interested. I wonder what he looks like with a near max weight, if he can still use the same tech or not

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 339674)
I do the same up to about 90 kg, when it gets heavy its a whole other thing and the clean takes more out of you. That log was probably not over 80% of his 1rm so he makes it look easy! =)

Thinking back, best as I recall, as he got to his last 2 lifts, I think it was, he seemed to employ a small pause at the shoulder prior to the final overhead press, so that sounds plausible that he's nowhere near a max up till then; on his last lift (second of the last 2 lifts he performed), he didn't even get to shoulder height and called it a day, the momentum suddenly ground to a halt or at least appeared to from the viewer's perspective, though I'm not sure if he was well in the lead at that point anyway and didn't need to retry for it or whether he knew he couldn't complete the last weightload.

Mr.Silverback 03-21-2013 01:07 PM

He is on the Marunde-Muscle board...really cool guy, ive spoken with him in the past when I had a passion for strongman.

austin.j.taylor 03-22-2013 02:12 PM

Its called a viper press. While it works very well for lighter stuff, unless your name is Zydrunas, you cant press a heavy log that way.