Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Gengaeldelse
Brawn
Points: 1,254, Level: 19 Points: 1,254, Level: 19 Points: 1,254, Level: 19
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fav Exercise: Dead lift
Fav Supp: Gravity
Gengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good posts
Default Belts: When to use, Why to use, Should you use.

A weight lifting belt is a completely alien concept to me. I have no idea when/why to use it or even if I should be using it. Please, enlighten me.

Just a note for where I'm lifting. I don't have any PRs, but my current working weight is 230 lbs (5x5) for Squats and 325 lbs (5x5) for DL.

Last edited by Gengaeldelse; 03-20-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Gengaeldelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I think they should be used on near max effort lifts no matter the skill level. With that being said, if you are in the beginner or even into the intermediate stage you should do a good bit of work without one to continue to develop strength in the core and back.

Even now I do a good bit of back off sets without my belt to work areas that might be lacking from the use of the belt.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

This read may be of some interest:

PT on the Net
Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

I only use them in competitions or in training sessions where I want to exactly replicate competitions.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I don't even own a belt. I've pulled up to 500lb with no extra stuff, just me and my chucks. I'm probably going to get one soon because I'm moving into geared lifting, but I think you have a ton of room for growth before you need to worry about anything other than moving as much weight with the best form you can.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Fatboyjay
New Brawn
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Supp: Protein.
Fatboyjay is off to a good startFatboyjay is off to a good startFatboyjay is off to a good start

I own knee wraps but haven't used them yet, don't own a belt and not sure if I'd like one or not. Is it a guarantee that your lifts would increase? Only thing I've used so far is versa grips and I hardly use them to be honest.
Fatboyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #7
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

If its for a strength sport then get one and use it often. Make sure your still bracingyoit core and do plenty of lifting over the year without. What jb said really.

If your not into a strength sport its not as big an issue. However if your interested in adding a few kgs to your squat and other lifts then go for it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

I'm guilty of not having used a belt in a few years. Not sure if I would have made more improvements with it, it's one of those things you'll never know how the other route would have been.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I like to use a belt on my heavy (low rep) squat sets. I don't wear it very tight and probably do not get anything extra out of it in terms of extra weight lifted. But I do like it for helping to keep my form solid when the weights get heavier. Wearing it kind of loosely, not sloppy but not cinched down, really forces me to drive my abdominals into it.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I agree with the use it when you get close to a maximum weight or rep crowd. I think it does give you a boost, even if it is only mental or is a form cue as OR mentions. ( I use a belt on max benching for that very reason as I doubt it does anything to bench at my level of lifting).

Only thing I would add is in my opinion it also provides a bit of safety when it gets hairy on a really heavy lift. I believe it can keep you from a low back injury you if you are pushing the envelop and get into a bad position on a squat or deadlift or even an OH lift. I don't know for a fact that is true, but I believe it.

My max with a belt and my max without one go pretty much hand in hand. What was 100% a couple months ago is 90% now and I don't "need" the belt on that same weight anymore is what I mean by that.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote