Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Help Tinyman Deadlift

Tinyman wants some help raising his deadlift. Here's his situation:

Quote:
I'm looking for some help. I weigh 295 lbs. My raw lift are all around 450 lbs. I'm a balanced lifter who cant get any new results. I work offshore so I can only work out at home for 2 weeks a month. can you still get results that way. i lift 3 on 1 off the whole time i'm home. I"m open for any suggestions.
2 weeks a month is doable.

My recommendations are to utilize good mornings, box squats, front squats, and rack pulls in training your deadlift.

If you have 2 weeks, you could get in 3 posterior chain workouts in that time.

Day 1...Box Squats, Deficit Deadlifts or Zerchers.

Day 7...Deadlifts, Good Mornings

Day 14...Rack Deads, Box Squats, Front Squats

...This is only an example, of course. I am not the most experience powerlifter on this forum. I look for the others guys to give you some great advice.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

295?!?!? Dude, you're a monster!!! We need to get that shit up....and NOW!

Rather than spouting off some more advanced things you can do, here are some basic questions:

What type of setup do you have at your place?

Do you have a rack?

Bands?

Do you pull sumo or traditional?

Do you work 2 weeks on/2 weeks off or do you work every other week?

Do you know how to test yourself to see what stance works best for you?

My initial thoughts without too much information is that your entire back and glutes are fairly weak (relative to your size) which supports the reason as to why your squats are lagging as well. How much can you row (and what kind)? Do you ever do shrugs, croc rows, or olympic lifts? Meaning, how's your trap strength?

I like what MAB has for directly working your posterior chain, but I have a feeling you could see some amazing results from working your assistance work more efficiently.

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

2 weeks of heavy ass training. 2 weeks of bodyweight training. It will be a perfect cycle for you to make serious gains and get good rest. First tell us, all you have access to already, and I will try and help figure something out for you.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
chess315
Brawn
Points: 929, Level: 16 Points: 929, Level: 16 Points: 929, Level: 16

chess315 is off to a bad start

yeah I think just general work like squats and deads a lot of the assitance movents are kinda more for advacned lifters sometimes bigger people lack speed and cleans would help that. I would say just work up to single,double or triple once a week and just do general hard training a lot of bigger guys do have speed and cordination issues which cleans or something could help with and obviously upper back I find it hard to belive a 295er would lack the leg strength
chess315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

I got this info from tinyman:

"Well here goes, I lift at a power lifting gym in ms, I have access to bands and chains. my workouts are moderately heavy. I train for 3 days and take off one this lets me train for a total of 9 days at home.

I have some 90lb db's at work They wont let me bring out 150s. safety issue.

My first three days are heavy, the mid 3 light, last three heavy.

I'm working with 405 for triples on squat and bench I'm doing reps with 385 for 5 on bench.

I dead on do accessories for back and bis day one, Bench and doing tri's on day two. Then squat and doing leg accessories on day three.

Also i lift raw until i try to do a meet. i can only do one a year and ill have five weeks to get ready and ill do the meet on the sixth week. all my lifts are raw. i would like to get to 585 within the next two years raw on all my lifts."
Old 11-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Default Everyone give me your comments on this idea :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
I got this info from tinyman:

"Well here goes, I lift at a power lifting gym in ms, I have access to bands and chains. my workouts are moderately heavy. I train for 3 days and take off one this lets me train for a total of 9 days at home.

I have some 90lb db's at work They wont let me bring out 150s. safety issue.

My first three days are heavy, the mid 3 light, last three heavy.

I'm working with 405 for triples on squat and bench I'm doing reps with 385 for 5 on bench.

I dead on do accessories for back and bis day one, Bench and doing tri's on day two. Then squat and doing leg accessories on day three.

Also i lift raw until i try to do a meet. i can only do one a year and ill have five weeks to get ready and ill do the meet on the sixth week. all my lifts are raw. i would like to get to 585 within the next two years raw on all my lifts."

Ok Meet Prep on this template

On variation I would suggest is

Week 1- One Rep MAX + Light Assistance
Week 2- Wendler's 5 + Heavy Assistance
Week 3- Wendler's 3 + Light Assistance
Week 4- Wender's 1 +Throw chains on the one rep and repeat the singles
*example 535lb deadlift for 1 rep, throw 20lbs of chains every set till failure*
Week 5- Deload, *Use Bands for Speed Work (keep it light & fast)
Week 6- MEET TIME

When not able to train @home Take bands and buy blast straps and do as much as you can. Get a weighted vest, some sandbags and use them to weigh you down for body-weight exercises.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

Question:

Why is this guy afraid to post on the public forum?

Next, you're big enough to get your bench to 585, but why do you want your squat and deads to follow bench? If you're benching 450, your squats and deads should easily be in the 600's. I would focus on that to get a bigger total.

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthleteCreator View Post
Question:

Why is this guy afraid to post on the public forum?

Next, you're big enough to get your bench to 585, but why do you want your squat and deads to follow bench? If you're benching 450, your squats and deads should easily be in the 600's. I would focus on that to get a bigger total.
I don't think he's afraid. It just appears as a forum is something new to him.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
BRaWNy
Pain Master
Max Brawn
Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39 Points: 3,850, Level: 39

Training Exp: ~23 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Back Squat
Fav Supp: Fish-oils
BRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributor

He can also find where the weak link is, thats holding him back and include some extra assistance work at this point, among the basic training and exercises.
BRaWNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

What's the word Tiny?
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote