Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Titan Cent is a great squat and has been for an age. You can pull sumo in it. You could probably have a shot pulling conv in it too. Backwards sumo. I would try pulling sumo in a suit it may suprise you. You'll get alot of carryover quicker on the sumo. So unless you sumo pull is waaayyy of your conventional have a go.

I prefered the Fury to the F6 but both are good. I used a 2nd hand Fury to train with that I could get on and off myself and still gave me a nice 20kg carryover.

Or you could just lift unequipped/classic/raw as nearly every fed has that division and the standard is rapidly rising.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainK View Post
Titan Cent is a great squat and has been for an age. You can pull sumo in it. You could probably have a shot pulling conv in it too. Backwards sumo. I would try pulling sumo in a suit it may suprise you. You'll get alot of carryover quicker on the sumo. So unless you sumo pull is waaayyy of your conventional have a go.

I prefered the Fury to the F6 but both are good. I used a 2nd hand Fury to train with that I could get on and off myself and still gave me a nice 20kg carryover.

Or you could just lift unequipped/classic/raw as nearly every fed has that division and the standard is rapidly rising.
Just lifting what I can lift myself isn't very fun! Haha, I think the slingshot has ruined me for raw lifting. I have so much fun with that thing, I want something like that for every lift.

At this point it's a question of funds. I've been spending a lot lately on this and that, so I need to hold off a minute before doing this. But it looks like I'll be getting a Super Centurion, and I'm going to try to find a used Super Katana. The F6 is apparently easier to get used to, but I don't mind taking the time with the katana if it will give me bigger numbers.

Thanks for the advice!
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Thing with katana is you may simply not have the experince or lifters around you to get it right. I couldn't get it to work for that very reason. I had benched 190kg in a fury. I couldn't get 220 to touch first time in the shirt and after a month best was 210kg to a one board distance, but no touches.

However if you can get good advice and make it work then it is the single ply shirt of the moment. Mind you some of the stitching in the latest models is out there

I prob don't need to say it, but I will as I messed up on this score, but keep pushing your raw numbers hard. I stagnated and didn't fulfill my potential in the time I lifted single ply due to that reason. I just did some raw work as an afterthought tbh. Big mistake!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainK View Post
I prob don't need to say it, but I will as I messed up on this score, but keep pushing your raw numbers hard. I stagnated and didn't fulfill my potential in the time I lifted single ply due to that reason. I just did some raw work as an afterthought tbh. Big mistake!
This is a common theme and I did the same. The gear is addictive because of the big numbers. If you can keep pushing the raw stuff and I mean push it not just as an afterthought as Iain said and I did, you will become way stronger in your gear.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
This is a common theme and I did the same. The gear is addictive because of the big numbers. If you can keep pushing the raw stuff and I mean push it not just as an afterthought as Iain said and I did, you will become way stronger in your gear.
Absolutely. I won't neglect raw strength. Strong is strong. If someone is strong raw then they'll be strong with gear, but the opposite isn't true. I'll only gear up to get used to it. Like I said, I love my slingshot, but I'm currently only using it for closer grip pressing as accesory work to really nail my triceps, and it works quite well for this.

But my current Tng PR is 315 on bench, and the first time I ever used the slingshot I did a triple with 335. It's just too much fun.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

Is there any ways that you can visit a powerlifting gym? I spend a lot of money just by buying and trying which I would it save some if I visit a powerlifting gym at the beginning. Ck powerliftingwatch for a gym near you. By the way...I have Squat Metal king which I can also use for DL and I have a Inzer (EHPHD) double layer bench shirt and I can put little bit more than 100lbs in a bad day but I just bought an Overkill. Havn't try that one yet. Take some time to break-in that one. I'm lifting raw right now but do not discard start with my gear by the end of the year. I'm lifting with a powerlifting team and that's makes a lot of difference. Try to get some people (even in a meet) to help you choosing the best for you.

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
Soldier
Max Brawn

Actualy, I'm not too far from anderson powerlifting. They are up in Dallas, about 2 1/2 hours from here. I'm thinking about doing a meet near there at metroflex after the summer, so I may make a weekend out of it.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

That's not far, sounds good. I travel 3.5 every other Sunday and my wife hates to get up early to go up there. Fun time for sure. Good luck in your QUEST!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Actualy, I'm not too far from anderson powerlifting. They are up in Dallas, about 2 1/2 hours from here. I'm thinking about doing a meet near there at metroflex after the summer, so I may make a weekend out of it.

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Mike Womack is the man to talk to in that area. He helps Henry Thompason with his training. Has a gym called "kingdom gym" I think.

What body weight are you? I have a training partner that might have a bench shirt.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Mike Womack is the man to talk to in that area. He helps Henry Thompason with his training. Has a gym called "kingdom gym" I think.

What body weight are you? I have a training partner that might have a bench shirt.
I'm just shy of 230 now, but planning to cut to 215-220. Evidently either a 44 or 46 are right for me.

Wow, just looked up kingdom power gym. Why can't I live closer to this place! I'm gonna hit them up when I'm ready to do this and see if I can go up there and try some stuff out, and maybe get some tips. Henry thompson is a freakin' BEAST. Thanks for the info!