Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   My Full Body Workout (Proposed) (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12900)

Bronco 03-15-2013 04:06 PM

My Full Body Workout (Proposed)

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm trying to become a good powerlifter. i've been running 5/3/1 for a few months but I think I could get more out of a full body workout at this point. I'm not very strong yet and I think I need to be doing the big lifts more than once a week. How does this program look? I'm thinking of doing a progression on the big lifts on heavy days kind of like 5/3/1. 3 week cycles then add 5lbs, reset when necessary.

my proposed routine is attached.

leefarley 03-15-2013 04:20 PM

cant see it, print is to small to read.

CZERWIEC 03-15-2013 04:42 PM

if you want to know about full body training get a book called: the complete keys to progress by John McCallum, just a ton of information plus its a fun book to read

Soldier 03-15-2013 04:54 PM

Looks like a solid plan to me. I'm not sure about all the machine work for legs. I'd rather do some squat variations, but the machines will work to if thats the way you want to go.

You're using lots of percentages, which is good. It's good to have quantifiable data to use when monitoring your results and tweaking your program, or choosing a new program altogether.

Off Road 03-15-2013 05:17 PM

How much do you press, bench, squat and deadlift?

MikeM 03-15-2013 05:47 PM

I like the plan in general. I see what you're doing.

That said, if I was going for powerlifting totals, I'd up those percentages somewhere. The most you're doing is 85% for 8 sets of 3 if I'm reading that right. That's great volume, but you will need some sets above 90% somewhere along the line to keep getting stronger.

I would hit a max single or two on heavy days, then drop back down to do the 8x 3. I would also seriously consider hitting a single around 90% (no higher) on medium days, then dropping back down for the reps that day too.

Just a thought. When you're starting out lots of reps is a good thing, but you need a little intensity too.

Post a log and see what happens. Good luck!

Off Road 03-15-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 337074)
The most you're doing is 85% for 8 sets of 3 if I'm reading that right.

I believe that's 3 sets of 8 reps. Some people write them backwards.

Bronco 03-15-2013 09:02 PM

thanks guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 337079)
I believe that's 3 sets of 8 reps. Some people write them backwards.

i really do mean 8 sets of 3 reps. i did some smolov stuff and i thought it was cool to do lots of sets with low reps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 337074)
I would hit a max single or two on heavy days, then drop back down to do the 8x 3. I would also seriously consider hitting a single around 90% (no higher) on medium days, then dropping back down for the reps that day too.

Just a thought. When you're starting out lots of reps is a good thing, but you need a little intensity too. !

for intensity i was planning on doing those last sets to just before failure like in 5/3/1, i think i forgot to mention that. and yeah, i love heavy singles. you think it's really important, huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 337062)
How much do you press, bench, squat and deadlift?

155lbs/265lbs/335lbs/395lbs
strict overhead press is weak since i've never really tried very hard at it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 337058)
Looks like a solid plan to me. I'm not sure about all the machine work for legs. I'd rather do some squat variations, but the machines will work to if thats the way you want to go.

yeah, i'm not sure if i really want to do the extensions and curls all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CZERWIEC (Post 337051)
if you want to know about full body training get a book called: the complete keys to progress by John McCallum, just a ton of information plus its a fun book to read

i'll check in to that.

Off Road 03-16-2013 12:19 AM

Good numbers. Heck, give it a try and report back.

Bronco 03-16-2013 09:10 PM

so i'm planning to start at the beginning of april i guess.
need to heal up some injuries first.
anyone else see anything stupid going on in this routine?