Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

You should not be worried about over training. Your workout is fine and I like hitting some lifts twice a week or more as well.

I was saying you should have a reason for doing leg press every session, not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying have a reason for doing it. DO you feel like your quads need a lot more work? Is leg pressing that much working? If yes, then rock on my good fellow. I think he's saying you might get more bang for your buck if you just squatted more instead and he could be right. Depends on you. His ideas are not that different from yours, just using more full body lifts instead of leg press or pulldowns.

I like the look of your routine. If it is working, crack on.

FUnny, but I can bench everyday probably, but deadlifting not so much. See, we are all different. You have to find what works for you. You could try separating those bench days a bit more though. Benching Monday and Friday and OHP on wednesdays. That might help.

But you will not overtrain on that routine as long as you listen to your body.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 06-03-2013 at 04:50 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Chicken
Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor

Thanks, Mike.
Yeah, my thinking is that I'm not really strong enough to overtrain with this program yet.
I felt like the standard 5/3/1 program was just giving me too much rest and not enough work to progress.
I took your suggestion a few months ago of mixing in heavy singles and doubles. but i was doing those plus the heavy sets of 5 two days a week. i felt like that was not letting my chest recover properly. I figure doing the 5/3/1 stuff will allow me to do those 90-95% lifts every three weeks.

i've been hitting deadlifts pretty hard twice a week, plus squatting twice a week and my deadlift is the only thing that is really improving. i calculated my max at around 430 now, up 35lbs in the last few months, while everything else is stalling. weird.

I think I like your attitude about finding what works for you. A lot of guys say "what makes you so special, pick a proven program and don't deviate from it". but i don't know, clearly I'm no Jim Wendler, so maybe it's not necessarily the best plan to do the same workout that he does.

and yeah, why am i doing leg presses? my quads are probably stronger than my hamstrings. i don't know, i like it i guess. I should probably be doing curls or glute ham raises, but i've been having trouble with my left hamstring and isolation stuff really hurts it.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #23
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Cookie cutter programs are for new guys and cookies. Don't get me wrong, they are good and you will grow eventually no matter what. But, you gotta start figuring out what is good for you if you really want to see big progress.

Also, my experience is if you have a problem like that hamstring, you gotta figure out what is going on and why and fix it. If you just keep working around an injury it will come back and bite you later.

FWIW, I used to think I had weak hamstrings and strong quads, turns out I had the opposite just didn't know it. Tough to diagnose yourself. Post up some video and/or workouts and guys around here will get you stronger. No question.

And all lifts usually do not rise at the same time unless you are butt new. It'll be bench going up for a while, then squats, then deadlifts, etc. and then it'll cycle back around. Frustrating sometimes, but that's the business we're in.

Rock on.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #24
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn

Bronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributorBronco is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Post up some video and/or workouts and guys around here will get you stronger. No question.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #25
stayaggro
Brawn
Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: Since Oct '11
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: BTN Push Press
Fav Supp: Black Coffee
stayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
yeah, some people seem to think so. but i want to work HARD, man.
also i feel like i make my best progress when hitting the big lifts at least twice a week. that's why I wanted to keep deads and bench in there two times a week.

are you saying i should be worried about overtraining?
Sorry for the delay. Haven't been on in a while. Not overtraining the big lifts necessarily ... I say deadlift and bench till your hearts content ... there's just no reason for several sets of high-rep assistance after killing it on a main squat, press, and pull ... More for time and simplicity's sake than a fear of over training. Hell if you're feeling saucy one day, just do more volume on a main lift. Like i said, i'm just a minimalist at heart and hate most people at my gym, so I try to get a lot of work done on a few movements, leave and eat.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
Bronco
Cool Guy
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayaggro View Post
Like i said, i'm just a minimalist at heart and hate most people at my gym, so I try to get a lot of work done on a few movements, leave and eat.
ha ha. not me, i like everybody.
that is a good point.
i think the rows, curls, and pull-downs are important for me because i'm weak in those areas. but i'm not sure why i'm doing the leg press. maybe just because i'm being a pansy. squats are hard.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
stayaggro
Brawn
Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: Since Oct '11
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: BTN Push Press
Fav Supp: Black Coffee
stayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
ha ha. not me, i like everybody.
that is a good point.
i think the rows, curls, and pull-downs are important for me because i'm weak in those areas. but i'm not sure why i'm doing the leg press. maybe just because i'm being a pansy. squats are hard.
There's your answer. Really, what I'd do, cause those three you listed are great movements ...

Mon - squat/push/pull/ extra row
Wed - squat/push/pull/ curl
Fri - squat/push/pull/ pulldowns

like I said, feel free to add in more volume on the main lift. and when ever you want (even on off days) feel free to add in ab work, neck work, and more curls. But yea, unless strength isnt the ultimate goal, a few more sets of squats will do way more for you than a leg press. solidify technique, make you stronger, develop motor units, and make you grow.