Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
strengthseeker
New Brawn
Points: 1,146, Level: 18 Points: 1,146, Level: 18 Points: 1,146, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: squat
strengthseeker is off to a good startstrengthseeker is off to a good startstrengthseeker is off to a good startstrengthseeker is off to a good start
Default AM/PM workouts. Compounds in the morning, Assistance in the evening?

I was reading up on working out twice a day on these two links at the bottom. I have a home gym and i can workout both in the morning and in the evening. How would you program 531 boring but big into twice a day with a mon, tues, thurs, friday split? Im not sure if i can deadlift twice a day, and shoulders isnt as demanding as the rest so i think i can fit that in one workout. Or would you guys program it a different way to be more optimal? Im not sure how to program it. Any advice welcomed!

Doubling Up for Success | Poliquin Article

T NATION | Thibaudeau's Words of Wisdom
strengthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Bumping this to see if anyone with more experience has a specific answer for you.

I don't see anything wrong with doing a morning evening split with your lifts. If fact, it might be beneficial. Even with deadlifting as the second session is a lot lower intensity.

I'd do the main lift in the morning, then the 5x 10 sets and anything else in the evening. At least I'd start that way and see what happened. If it wasn't working, I'd simply change it to something else. Never hurts to experiment. You have to find what is optimal for you which could easily be different than what other people are doing.

Just my .02.

Good luck!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 03-11-2013 at 06:54 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I did this for about 3-4 months, maybe more I can't quite recall, last year. I only stopped cos of time restraints.

Day 1: Bench
2: SQ/DL
3:Bench
4: SQ/DL
5:Bench
6: SQ/DL
7: OFF

That was in the evenings and in the mornings I overhead pressed and did the quick lifts.

BUT...

I think it's the type of thing you need to work into and have the right mentality for. You don't work to the bone in every session, it's a lot of form practice, drilling the lifts over and over. If you destroy yourself or even push too far one session you'll be wrecked and unable to complete the week.

I also deloaded a lot, so you could do. But I would seriously ask yourself why you're doing it and if your reasons are good enough.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I would seriously ask yourself why you're doing it and if your reasons are good enough.
That was exactly my first thought.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote