Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor
Default Sick and tired of training!!

I hate benching, power squatting, deadlifting, pressing, curls, calf raises, dumbbells, cables, and so on. Here's what I did to fix that....I didn't do them. I always thought that a traditional fullbody workout (one that has the basic six movements along with single joint calf and arm work) put way too much emphasis on the upper body and the legs were left slightly neglected in comparison. Then it hit me, as far as compound lifts are concerned, pushing is pushing and pulling is pulling, no matter what the plane is, but since I threw most of the traditional core lifts in the trash what was I going to do? Then it hit me again, the quick lifts, and some bodyweight exercises. This is what I came up with.

A:

Power snatch
Full squat
Dips
Dead stop barbell rows

B:

Power clean
Front squat
Push press
Chin up

Now the next issue was frequency, volume, and loading. Frequency was easy, I just alternated workouts and hit the gym six days a week. Volume was influenced by guys like Ditillo and Hepburn. I decided on 10x3 for each exercise. Loading was a little Bulgarian, and a little Russian for the barbell exercises. I started at 2 sets of 50% of max and worked my way up to 90%, no maxing out!! Once I hit 90% for five plus reps I will go up roughly 10+%. The chins and dips are a different kettle of fish. I decided that once I am able to do 10x5 easily with my bodyweight, I will bring out the dipping belt and add 10-25 pounds depending on the sweet spot, or I'll start doing sternum chins. I'm having a blast and lost 20 pounds of lard, and I'm feeling the best I have in years. So if anyone else is going through a funk, remember there's more then one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by Trevor Ross; 03-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

that whole story is totally awesome, and the program looks good. not sure i agree that "pushing is pushing and pulling is pulling, regardless of the plane" though. a bicep curl is a pull and so is a deadlift. big difference.
but yeah, the routine you came up with looks like a great way to take a break from the usual, and if it works, it works, no matter what anyone says. i like the way you used your own powers of reasoning + experience to develop something that works for you.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 03-10-2013 at 07:17 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
that whole story is totally awesome, and the program looks good. not sure i agree that "pushing is pushing and pulling is pulling, regardless of the plane" though. a bicep curl is a pull and so is a deadlift. big difference.
but yeah, the routine you came up with looks like a great way to take a break from the usual, and if it works, it works, no matter what anyone says. i like the way you used your own powers of reasoning + experience to develop something that works for you.
Thank you. What I meant in regards to the "pushing is pushing" statement is from a compound lift perspective. Most fullbody workouts have the horizontal and vertical pushing and pulling during the same session. I chose to have them on different days, so that my upper and lower body pushing and pulling are balanced.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
so that my upper and lower body pushing and pulling are balanced.
oh, i see what you mean. i've discussed this with a trainer friend of mine before. the pairings we came up with were this:

dip + upright row
standing press + pullup
incline bench + incline row
flat bench + Pendlay row

but the problem we encountered was with squat and deadlift: there's no practical way to reverse those movements. i thought a great idea would be if there were some way to strap your feet to the ground, stand under a wide-grip overhead cable row machine, and pull the bar down using your posterior chain so that you end in the bottom position of a squat (reverse squat). it's sort of like an upright deadlift!
for reverse deadlift, it's a similar movement except you begin with the bar in front of you and at your waist with your elbows locked. instead of your lower back + glutes, you'll actually use your abs and hip flexors to initiate the movement.
but again, there's no practical way to do these last 2 exercises, and they'd probably be more trouble than they're worth. they are, though, the correct reversal of the movement, just like the more legit exercises above.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Actually, SO, I've seen people do bench and squats with bands pulling the bar upwards, as a way of engraining good form on the decent of those two lifts. But I'd say if there's an opposing movement to squats it would be effectively the GHR or reverse hypers.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
A:

Power snatch
Full squat
Dips
Dead stop barbell rows

B:

Power clean
Front squat
Push press
Chin up.
That looks very Dinosaur-esque, Brooks would be proud of that setup.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
That looks very Dinosaur-esque, Brooks would be proud of that setup.
That does look like something he would do.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Where are your strength numbers and how long have you been training?

Just curious to get some background. I would also like to encourage you to stick around and log your training.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-11-2013 at 02:05 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #9
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
I hate benching, power squatting, deadlifting, pressing, curls, calf raises, dumbbells, cables, and so on. Here's what I did to fix that....I didn't do them. I always thought that a traditional fullbody workout (one that has the basic six movements along with single joint calf and arm work) put way too much emphasis on the upper body and the legs were left slightly neglected in comparison. Then it hit me, as far as compound lifts are concerned, pushing is pushing and pulling is pulling, no matter what the plane is, but since I threw most of the traditional core lifts in the trash what was I going to do? Then it hit me again, the quick lifts, and some bodyweight exercises. This is what I came up with.

A:

Power snatch
Full squat
Dips
Dead stop barbell rows

B:

Power clean
Front squat
Push press
Chin up

Now the next issue was frequency, volume, and loading. Frequency was easy, I just alternated workouts and hit the gym six days a week. Volume was influenced by guys like Ditillo and Hepburn. I decided on 10x3 for each exercise. Loading was a little Bulgarian, and a little Russian for the barbell exercises. I started at 2 sets of 50% of max and worked my way up to 90%, no maxing out!! Once I hit 90% for five plus reps I will go up roughly 10+%. The chins and dips are a different kettle of fish. I decided that once I am able to do 10x5 easily with my bodyweight, I will bring out the dipping belt and add 10-25 pounds depending on the sweet spot, or I'll start doing sternum chins. I'm having a blast and lost 20 pounds of lard, and I'm feeling the best I have in years. So if anyone else is going through a funk, remember there's more then one way to skin a cat.
I love everything about this program and setup. Ive been doing things very similair and for the same reason every now and then to keep things fresh.

Please tell us more about how its going and your progress so far!

SFW!

Last edited by big_swede; 03-11-2013 at 03:41 AM.
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #10
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Welcome back mate.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote