Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Trevor Ross
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 506
Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Reputation: 14995
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor
Default Sick and tired of training!!

I hate benching, power squatting, deadlifting, pressing, curls, calf raises, dumbbells, cables, and so on. Here's what I did to fix that....I didn't do them. I always thought that a traditional fullbody workout (one that has the basic six movements along with single joint calf and arm work) put way too much emphasis on the upper body and the legs were left slightly neglected in comparison. Then it hit me, as far as compound lifts are concerned, pushing is pushing and pulling is pulling, no matter what the plane is, but since I threw most of the traditional core lifts in the trash what was I going to do? Then it hit me again, the quick lifts, and some bodyweight exercises. This is what I came up with.

A:

Power snatch
Full squat
Dips
Dead stop barbell rows

B:

Power clean
Front squat
Push press
Chin up

Now the next issue was frequency, volume, and loading. Frequency was easy, I just alternated workouts and hit the gym six days a week. Volume was influenced by guys like Ditillo and Hepburn. I decided on 10x3 for each exercise. Loading was a little Bulgarian, and a little Russian for the barbell exercises. I started at 2 sets of 50% of max and worked my way up to 90%, no maxing out!! Once I hit 90% for five plus reps I will go up roughly 10+%. The chins and dips are a different kettle of fish. I decided that once I am able to do 10x5 easily with my bodyweight, I will bring out the dipping belt and add 10-25 pounds depending on the sweet spot, or I'll start doing sternum chins. I'm having a blast and lost 20 pounds of lard, and I'm feeling the best I have in years. So if anyone else is going through a funk, remember there's more then one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by Trevor Ross; 03-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
SecondsOut
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
 
SecondsOut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 779
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
Reputation: 68942
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Default

that whole story is totally awesome, and the program looks good. not sure i agree that "pushing is pushing and pulling is pulling, regardless of the plane" though. a bicep curl is a pull and so is a deadlift. big difference.
but yeah, the routine you came up with looks like a great way to take a break from the usual, and if it works, it works, no matter what anyone says. i like the way you used your own powers of reasoning + experience to develop something that works for you.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 03-10-2013 at 07:17 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Trevor Ross
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 506
Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Reputation: 14995
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
that whole story is totally awesome, and the program looks good. not sure i agree that "pushing is pushing and pulling is pulling, regardless of the plane" though. a bicep curl is a pull and so is a deadlift. big difference.
but yeah, the routine you came up with looks like a great way to take a break from the usual, and if it works, it works, no matter what anyone says. i like the way you used your own powers of reasoning + experience to develop something that works for you.
Thank you. What I meant in regards to the "pushing is pushing" statement is from a compound lift perspective. Most fullbody workouts have the horizontal and vertical pushing and pulling during the same session. I chose to have them on different days, so that my upper and lower body pushing and pulling are balanced.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
SecondsOut
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
 
SecondsOut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 779
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
Reputation: 68942
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
so that my upper and lower body pushing and pulling are balanced.
oh, i see what you mean. i've discussed this with a trainer friend of mine before. the pairings we came up with were this:

dip + upright row
standing press + pullup
incline bench + incline row
flat bench + Pendlay row

but the problem we encountered was with squat and deadlift: there's no practical way to reverse those movements. i thought a great idea would be if there were some way to strap your feet to the ground, stand under a wide-grip overhead cable row machine, and pull the bar down using your posterior chain so that you end in the bottom position of a squat (reverse squat). it's sort of like an upright deadlift!
for reverse deadlift, it's a similar movement except you begin with the bar in front of you and at your waist with your elbows locked. instead of your lower back + glutes, you'll actually use your abs and hip flexors to initiate the movement.
but again, there's no practical way to do these last 2 exercises, and they'd probably be more trouble than they're worth. they are, though, the correct reversal of the movement, just like the more legit exercises above.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Soldier
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%
 
Soldier's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Hood, Tx
Posts: 4,130
Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Reputation: 254492
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default

Actually, SO, I've seen people do bench and squats with bands pulling the bar upwards, as a way of engraining good form on the decent of those two lifts. But I'd say if there's an opposing movement to squats it would be effectively the GHR or reverse hypers.
__________________
Current PRs at 242, raw w/ wraps- 525, 355, 605, 1485
Roboro tui, perimo vester adversarius
(Build yourself, destroy your enemy)
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Off Road
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
 
Off Road's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,606
Reputation: 786994
Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
A:

Power snatch
Full squat
Dips
Dead stop barbell rows

B:

Power clean
Front squat
Push press
Chin up.
That looks very Dinosaur-esque, Brooks would be proud of that setup.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Trevor Ross
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 506
Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Reputation: 14995
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
That looks very Dinosaur-esque, Brooks would be proud of that setup.
That does look like something he would do.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 79,944
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
Reputation: 2584002
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

Where are your strength numbers and how long have you been training?

Just curious to get some background. I would also like to encourage you to stick around and log your training.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."



Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-11-2013 at 02:05 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #9
big_swede
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%
 
big_swede's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: sweden
Posts: 12,014
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
Reputation: 480503
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
I hate benching, power squatting, deadlifting, pressing, curls, calf raises, dumbbells, cables, and so on. Here's what I did to fix that....I didn't do them. I always thought that a traditional fullbody workout (one that has the basic six movements along with single joint calf and arm work) put way too much emphasis on the upper body and the legs were left slightly neglected in comparison. Then it hit me, as far as compound lifts are concerned, pushing is pushing and pulling is pulling, no matter what the plane is, but since I threw most of the traditional core lifts in the trash what was I going to do? Then it hit me again, the quick lifts, and some bodyweight exercises. This is what I came up with.

A:

Power snatch
Full squat
Dips
Dead stop barbell rows

B:

Power clean
Front squat
Push press
Chin up

Now the next issue was frequency, volume, and loading. Frequency was easy, I just alternated workouts and hit the gym six days a week. Volume was influenced by guys like Ditillo and Hepburn. I decided on 10x3 for each exercise. Loading was a little Bulgarian, and a little Russian for the barbell exercises. I started at 2 sets of 50% of max and worked my way up to 90%, no maxing out!! Once I hit 90% for five plus reps I will go up roughly 10+%. The chins and dips are a different kettle of fish. I decided that once I am able to do 10x5 easily with my bodyweight, I will bring out the dipping belt and add 10-25 pounds depending on the sweet spot, or I'll start doing sternum chins. I'm having a blast and lost 20 pounds of lard, and I'm feeling the best I have in years. So if anyone else is going through a funk, remember there's more then one way to skin a cat.
I love everything about this program and setup. Ive been doing things very similair and for the same reason every now and then to keep things fresh.

Please tell us more about how its going and your progress so far!

SFW!
__________________

Last edited by big_swede; 03-11-2013 at 03:41 AM.
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #10
Fazc
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: U.K
Posts: 5,554
Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Reputation: 420568
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!
Default

Welcome back mate.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tired tomgurl General Fitness & Health 7 11-14-2012 02:53 PM
What to take for being tired mudrunner Nutrition, Diet and Supplements 4 02-11-2012 08:36 AM
Tired lift3r Muscle Building and Bodybuilding 2 12-31-2011 04:04 PM
Training while sick BendtheBar General Fitness & Health 3 07-28-2009 06:35 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.