Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Pretty cool!

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Actually, SO, I've seen people do bench and squats with bands pulling the bar upwards, as a way of engraining good form on the decent of those two lifts. But I'd say if there's an opposing movement to squats it would be effectively the GHR or reverse hypers.
Its called Reverse-Band Bench and Squats. Takes the load off the bottom progressively increasing the load at lockout.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor
Default Don't squat in crosstrainers!!

So, the one night I forgot my chucks is the night I hit 315 on a full squat(pr). Then after the fact my left knee hurt like a bastard. So I checked out my form with an empty bar and discovered the weight was on the inside of my feet almost like when your knees cave in. The squat movements that don't hurt are.....the box squat and the Zercher box squat. I have to delete the cleans and snatches for now (the jumps hurt a bit). This is what I'm doing now. May as well train around it, and bring back the bench while I'm at it . I'll see about starting a log too.

A:

Box squat
Snatch pull
Bench press
Dead stop row

B:

Zercher box squat
Clean pull
Press
Chin up
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #14
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Press off the rack: 170x3, 170x3 (real olympic presses, not this half rep/back bending crap. Started the lift with the bar racked on the shoulders.)
Zercher box squat: 325x1
Deadlift (wanted to deadlift): 400x1 it was a fast pull too, no grinding.
Chin up: 10x4

No knee pain to speak of.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
So, the one night I forgot my chucks is the night I hit 315 on a full squat(pr). Then after the fact my left knee hurt like a bastard. So I checked out my form with an empty bar and discovered the weight was on the inside of my feet almost like when your knees cave in. The squat movements that don't hurt are.....the box squat and the Zercher box squat. I have to delete the cleans and snatches for now (the jumps hurt a bit). This is what I'm doing now. May as well train around it, and bring back the bench while I'm at it . I'll see about starting a log too.

A:

Box squat
Snatch pull
Bench press
Dead stop row

B:

Zercher box squat
Clean pull
Press
Chin up
I really would encourage you to post up a video of your back squat. If you are having some form problems, some of the guys here may be able to help make corrections.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

Form wasn't the issue, but thanks for the invite.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Quote:
So I checked out my form with an empty bar and discovered the weight was on the inside of my feet almost like when your knees cave in.
This does sound like a form problem though?

I like your original breakdown of training though, a good solid setup for making gains.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Form wasn't the issue, but thanks for the invite.
Not trying to harass you, but why do you say this? What you described is clearly a question of form. Is there a reason you are reluctant to seek outside advice?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #19
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn

It was the junk shoes!! I swear! Ha ha. I squatted yesterday and they were things of beauty (I made damn sure of it). I'll never forget the chucks again. Hitting zerchers tonight.