Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
RGRthat
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor
Default CNS training... what is it

I keep hearing about CNS (central nervous system) training and have no idea what it is or how to do it. I read a couple articles and felt like the time I tried to read a book on quantum mechanics (highly not advise). Could someone link me to a good article or just give me a basic breakdown of what it is and how to give it a go?
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

It's basically a load of crap.

The term is overused and abused. What people tend to mean by 'CNS Training' is simply the process of getting used to lifting heavy and fast. What people tend to mean by 'CNS burnout' is just that they're tired.

But saying "I'm working on my form" doesn't sound as glitz and glam as "I'm training my CNS to fire more efficiently".

And saying "I'm tired and need a break" doesn't sound as hardcore as "my CNS is fried".

Basically, people say stupid stuff to sound important. If your CNS was fried you would be dead or very close.

Last edited by Fazc; 02-23-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
RGRthat
Brawn

RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

Awesome, thanks for the help. I guess anything sounds legit when you use big word and lots of abbreviations.

So basically just work your form with moderate weight occasionally with explosive speed and you are doing the same thing?
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Exactly.

When people talk about speed work, or singles or really anything to do with coordinating your body to become more proficient at a lift. That's what they mean by CNS training.

For example, I'll squat 3 times a week, once for light/speed and twice heavy. I'll also do a lot of singles and low rep sets. Someone might call that CNS training but really I'm just trying to groove my squat and get better. The body will adapt to the demands placed on it, and I'll squat more.

People will say that "training the CNS" is a short and easy to understand term. Which is fine. But it's technically inaccurate which can then lead to other problems down the road in understanding how this stuff works and can lead to people getting away from the basics. So I think it's just best to cut out the nonsense from the start.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The only time I personally worry about my CNS is during warm ups. If a weight feels unusually heavy, I tend to add another 1-2 heavy rep warm up sets to try and give my CNS a kick.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
RGRthat
Brawn

thanks all this is great stuff
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

While I agree with Fazc that it's a misused phrase, one that I have probably used wrong on multiple occasions, I also believe that CNS can be fatigued by overtraining the same way connective tissue and muscle can be. After trying to do smolov before I was properly experienced, everything I did seemed harder. I really just didn't feel "right". There may be some foundation in the effects on CNS that people are just misunderstanding when they throw the term around.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Go faz.

CNS is a poor term to use anyway. It refers to the nervous system of the brain and spinal cord. Important, but lots of fatigue and rate limiting shit happens in the PNS which includes the motor units.