Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   70's Big Powerlifting (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259)

BendtheBar 11-20-2009 09:53 AM

70's Big Powerlifting

1 Attachment(s)
About

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/att...1&d=1258728768

My friend AC and I were walking around the Wichita Falls Athletic Club one day looking at pictures of lifters from “back in the day”. We saw a collection of guys who were simply massive and strong. It made AC shake his head and say, “Man, these guys were…70’s Big.”

And it got me thinking.

The physiques of our 70’s Big co-captains, powerlifting Doug Young and Olympic lifting Anatoly Pisarenko, didn’t flourish through bodybuilding techniques. No sir; they wanted to be as strong as possible in their respective sports, and as a result they grew to meet such needs. Guys from this time period were big because they were strong. Guys from this time period were…70’s Big.

70’s Big is synonymous with being strong. It can also be considered the quest of attaining strength and subsequently muscular body weight. The best way to obtain strength is through barbell training, and barbell training means squatting, pressing, deadlifting, cleaning, jerking, and snatching. Period.

There are plenty of people who make it a priority to look like they are strong when they actually aren’t. This would be training for the sake of aesthetics, and the type of training that meets such goals has no part in a strength program. The difference between a physique that has been developed through strength training is very different than one that has been created with vanity in mind.

It’s currently in vogue to have a spindly, thin appearance which is typically accompanied by a low body fat percentage. Regardless of why this has come to be, those who have such an appearance are not very useful. Imagine asking someone of this “stature” to help you move your car out of the road, haul some lumber, or even fend off a potential zombie attack. It simply wouldn’t be feasible.

Thus, the mission statement of 70’s Big is multi-faceted and ever evolving. We aim to:

* Improve strength through barbell training while eating plenty of food
* Become big by being strong as opposed to aesthetic focused exercise
* Begin a movement against the prevailing wisdom that “looking good” means being emaciated, gaunt, and undernourished
* Be humble about our own gains of strength while encouraging and teaching others to improve theirs
* Honor the lifters of the past who inspire us to become 70’s Big
* Test our valor and strength through competition

bwys61 11-20-2009 10:37 AM

I like it. Hence, I am increasing that caloric intake significantly

BendtheBar 11-20-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwys61 (Post 11203)
I like it. Hence, I am increasing that caloric intake significantly

You might have to up your anabolic intake as well.

Grim83 11-20-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 11231)
You might have to up your anabolic intake as well.

who are the guys in the pic, they definately look big and strong, and im willing to bet they could all lift crazy weights, sorry im not as well versed in power lifting history

BendtheBar 11-20-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim83 (Post 11233)
who are the guys in the pic, they definately look big and strong, and im willing to bet they could all lift crazy weights, sorry im not as well versed in power lifting history

L to R...

Marv Philips, Larry Pacifico, and Doug Young

Larry Pacifico

Best Lifts

Competition Squat: 832 pounds
Competition Bench: 592 pounds (no bench shirt)
Competition Deadlift: 771 pounds
Competition Total: 2061 pounds

Grim83 11-20-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 11240)
L to R...

Larry Pacifico

Best Lifts

damn, anyone that can put up weights like that def. has my respect, shit marv looks like a pit over there lol

BendtheBar 11-20-2009 11:48 AM

Pacifico competed at under 200 I believe.

Grim83 11-20-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 11243)
Pacifico competed at under 200 I believe.

damn did i say respect, i meant idolize lol.

BigFiveFive 11-20-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 11240)
L to R...

Larry Pacifico

Best Lifts

Thats fucking ridiculous weight, wow.

BendtheBar 11-20-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFiveFive (Post 11245)
Thats fucking ridiculous weight, wow.

Yeah, I hear you. I can imagine a 650+ deadlift, but when I see squat numbers over 800, my mind just can't comprehend them.