Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gengaeldelse View Post
As far as hammy's, he didn't say anything specific. IIRC, he said my hip flexor was weak, which allowed my femur to rotate out, which messed up the alignment of the knee.
Men, in general, are more inclined to have externally rotated/rotating femurs (no idea why, just how it is), however, that shouldn't be an issue as long as you work with it and not against it; it's the one reason that some people need to turn the toes out more than others and so forth.

Working against it, from what I gather, would be trying to make your body do something that it will fight against which would just make things worse.

I read about it in a 3rd or 4th edition of a muscular skeletal style book, very indepth, but don't recall the long title off the top of my head.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Men, in general, are more inclined to have externally rotated/rotating femurs (no idea why, just how it is), however, that shouldn't be an issue as long as you work with it and not against it; it's the one reason that some people need to turn the toes out more than others and so forth.
Internal/External rotation and knee and ankle pronation/distortion 95% of the time have to do with muscles either being weak or strong to one side or the other. It leads to one side being dominate over the other. Its just like lower crossed syndrome or anterior pelvic tilt. People have dominate erectors and hip flexors/quads along with week abdominals and glutes causing the pelvis to tilt forward which is a major cause for lower back issues. Most of the time strengthening the weak muscles and stretching the strong muscles over time can relieve the problems.

Quote:
Working against it, from what I gather, would be trying to make your body do something that it will fight against which would just make things worse.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Just going with what your body wants to do instead of fighting it would mean we would never have a need to fix form flaws. Sometimes the simple tracking issues we have in our bodies lead to multiple other problems i don't agree that anyone should just go with it to not make it worse.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
Internal/External rotation and knee and ankle pronation/distortion 95% of the time have to do with muscles either being weak or strong to one side or the other. It leads to one side being dominate over the other. Its just like lower crossed syndrome or anterior pelvic tilt. People have dominate erectors and hip flexors/quads along with week abdominals and glutes causing the pelvis to tilt forward which is a major cause for lower back issues. Most of the time strengthening the weak muscles and stretching the strong muscles over time can relieve the problems.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Just going with what your body wants to do instead of fighting it would mean we would never have a need to fix form flaws. Sometimes the simple tracking issues we have in our bodies lead to multiple other problems i don't agree that anyone should just go with it to not make it worse.
Just passing info along that I found in a book, a medical style anatomical analysis of the muscular-skeltal system. BtB, for example, has externally rotated femurs, and is working with them, doesn't mean that his form is either bad or making it worse, nor that he's letting form slip etc; oh, he doesn't know it, to my knowledge, but it's clear through his vids, since it's so easy to spot.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
Gengaeldelse
Brawn
Points: 1,254, Level: 19 Points: 1,254, Level: 19 Points: 1,254, Level: 19
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fav Exercise: Dead lift
Fav Supp: Gravity
Gengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good postsGengaeldelse has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
OK there is some contradiction here so i thought i might try to address without coming across as an arogant know it all. So your therapist told you the above which would be true to a point. The hip flexors as a group assist in rotation only.

Now the knees caving in or pronation distortion is caused by stronger ad-ductor muscles than ab-ductor. Which means the muscles that hold or move the knee in are stronger than the muscles that hold or move it out.

You see the problem here is you say your problem is the femur rotating out and causing patella tracking to be off but when you do your squats the femur is acctually rotating in.

Now if you are able to force the knees out and maintain form during a squat thats awesome and keep rockin em with the appropriate weight. But if your pronation distortion cannot be cured you should not be doin squats until it can be. Although with the appropriate weight squats should be able to be performed by anyone.
My knee was rotating in because it was swollen and painful from the PTD. I was having trouble with just my warm-up weights, much less the working weight seen in the video.
Gengaeldelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gengaeldelse View Post
My knee was rotating in because it was swollen and painful from the PTD. I was having trouble with just my warm-up weights, much less the working weight seen in the video.
The thing is even with a sore and swollen knee the same condition would remain. By default your body will always recruit the strongest muscles to perform a certain task especially in your case where the knee is in distress. If your lateral quads and glute med and min were the strongest it would make you comfortable to rotate out when the knee hurts. In your case they are weaker and your leg colapses in.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote