Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Greu
Brawn
Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beta Alanine
Greu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributor
Default Powerlifting for beginners questions

Hi! I'm new to the forums and I have a couple of questions.

1. What powerlifting routine would you recommend to a beginner?
2. Can you gain muscle while on a powerlifting routine?
3. Can you have good strength gains while on a caloric deficit as a beginner?

Thank you!
Greu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

First and foremost, welcome to MAB!

As a beginner there are numerous routines that you would benefit from. Strength Training | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

Yes, you WILL gain mass while powerlifting.

That is a difficult balance to find. As a beginner just make sure that you get plenty of quality calories. Be aware of what you are eating. Eat garbage get fat.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

basically what gasp said! and welcome to the fam!
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Greu
Brawn

Greu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributorGreu is a consistent contributor

Thank you very much for the warm welcoming!

The problem is that I would like to follow a powerlifting routine but at the same time try and get from 20-25% body fat to 10-15% so I can then continue with a powerlifting routine and go on a slow bulk.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Just my 2 cents:

1. Starting Strength is very popular and info is everywhere.
2. It's hard not to gain muscle while powerlifting.
3. I suppose it would be possible, but if gaining muscle is on the agenda, a calorie deficit may not be the way to go. A better approach would be at least maintenance while getting the calories from the appropriate place for your goals.

Glad to have you with us.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

Lose Fat, Gain Muscle | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country.One is by the sword.The other is by debt. - John Adams
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum!

Your questions are actuallly pretty common ones.

1. I would find a basic routine and run its course a few times over. As a beginnger there is no need to make things complicated. There are lots of options out there to explore, and if you would like a more definate answer, we would need to talk more about training goals, and what is currently working.

2. There is no doubt you will gain muscle mass while on a powerlifting routine!

3. It is possible, but will take some fine tuning of your diet to work. It will not be ideal for gains in strength/mass, but is an achievable goal.

Hope some of this information is helpful, and please stick around. Create a training log, and we will do everything we can to help you reach your goals!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

If you really want to be in control of your diet, take a couple weeks and log your food. I use myfitnesspal.com when I log my food. You shouldn't need to log your food forever, but a couple weeks will give you a good idea of what you're eating and how it stacks up as far as calories and grams of fat, carbs, and protein.

If you're not happy with how much fat you have, then cut fat first. If you're a beginner, then you'll still get stronger while you're cutting fat. Don't expect to gain much muscle mass, but that's the result of your diet, not what training you do. Get yourself to a point where you're fairly happy with how lean you are, then keep training, increase your calories slowly, make sure you get your 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, and keep adding weight to the bar. You'll start to build muscle, and the increased food on your plate and muscle on your body will let you keep adding even more to your lifts.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
Greu
Brawn

At the moment my 1 rep maxes are 175lbs for bench, 220lbs for squat, 285lbs for deadlift.

I do not expect gaining muscle while being on a caloric deficit so I can lose some fat. I will think about gaining muscle after I lose enough fat. I would just like to at least slowly increase my strength while in my cutting period of probably around 12 weeks, even by 10-15 pounds in my main lifts if possible.

After reading some of the stuff about training I have somewhat designed my own full body training program, 3 times a week putting a great accent on the posterior chain because of my hunched shoulders (not exaggeratedly, but it's there).

DAY 1
Squats 5x5
Glute Ham Raise 3xMax (I am weak at this exercise but I want to improve)
Bench Press 4x5
T-bar Row 5x6-8 (I can't do barbell rows due to an injury, unrelated to lifting, in my upper back)

DAY 2
Deadlift 3x5
Front Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Vertical Row 4x6-8
Close Grip Bench 3x5

DAY 3
Squats 5x5
Good Morning 3x5
Bench Press 4x5
T-bar Row 5x6-8

I do not want to follow Starting Strength because of my weak posterior chain and my hunched shoulders, as I've said above.

What do you guys think? Is the training program decent?

Last edited by Greu; 02-17-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Actually, that looks pretty good to me.

I'd add one thing though. If you train 3 times a week, then at one point you're going to have 2 days of rest. On the first day of those 2, go do some sprints, sled pulls, car pushes, or any combination thereof.

If you do sprints, then work into them slowly with plenty of warming up. They can be dangerous if you really push yourself, and you don't want to pull something. Also, don't just do normal sprints. After you're warm put in some modified versions. My favorite is something I call bounders. You sprint for 30-50 yards, but take as few steps as possible, taking long steps and pushing hard off of every step. These are awesome for GPP, mobility, and conditioning.

Some conditioning work will help you cut fat and keep you healthy as you get stronger.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote