Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
maelpj
New Brawn
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

maelpj is off to a bad start
Default 5/3/1 with a little higher frequency ( Push Pull Leg)

Would apreciate some feedback. Not looking for a ''Just do the program as written'' or ''it's not 5/3/1 anymore'' generic answer you see everywhere. I simply like the % use by 5/3/1 for the compound and that's why I use it for compound.

What would I do would be a 3 way split over 5 day.

I would stick to 4-5 assistance exercice by day.
Would not put too much strain on the CNS cause I would train most of the time 4 times a week, sometimes 5.
Would to the 3 week over a period of 15 day, and would deload for 5 day, etc.

Deadlift 5/3/1 - Back, bicep and traps
Bench press 5/3/1 - AM : Chest and tricep PM: Shoulder
OFF
Squat 5/3/1 - Legs and core
OFF
Repeat

Why would I do that? If I don't abuse the assistance work, I feel I would be ready to go again after 5 day. My lift are still low, (squat 305, deadlift 385, bench press 285) but my recover is not good enough for me to hit the same lift a 2-3 times a week.
maelpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

What I liked about 5/3/1 was the flexibility. What you have written up doesn't look like too much to me, but then I like frequency. Are you not going to do any 5/3/1 for shoulders?

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

5/3/1 would/should include a "Press" day, "Squat" day, "Bench" day, and "Deadlift" day. That would make a typical 5/3/1 routine a 4 day a week routine. You could then add an assistance or events day for a fifth.

If you want to hit the lifts more often then you could do higher volume press after benching, and higher volume bench after pressing, etc.

Wendler himself experiments a lot, not sure why you couldn't either, as long as you keep things in perspective. But even if you don't, heck it's your routine, nobody makes you sign a contract and forces you to train one way or another.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
maelpj
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
What I liked about 5/3/1 was the flexibility. What you have written up doesn't look like too much to me, but then I like frequency. Are you not going to do any 5/3/1 for shoulders?
Like i wrote, i would to some pressing on bench day. Doing so would allow for a little higher frequency without fucking up things too much with a too agressive frequency ( Ex each lift 2x week)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
maelpj
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
5/3/1 would/should include a "Press" day, "Squat" day, "Bench" day, and "Deadlift" day. That would make a typical 5/3/1 routine a 4 day a week routine. You could then add an assistance or events day for a fifth.

If you want to hit the lifts more often then you could do higher volume press after benching, and higher volume bench after pressing, etc.

Wendler himself experiments a lot, not sure why you couldn't either, as long as you keep things in perspective. But even if you don't, heck it's your routine, nobody makes you sign a contract and forces you to train one way or another.
Like I wrote in my first post, shoulder/pressing would be hit on bench press day. I can't recover well if I hit a lift 2x a week, but every 5 day seems about fine for me.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelpj View Post
Like I wrote in my first post, shoulder/pressing would be hit on bench press day. I can't recover well if I hit a lift 2x a week, but every 5 day seems about fine for me.
I guess I'm just not understanding. You say you can't recover from doing a lift more than once a week, yet you want to increase the frequency of the lifts. That seems like opposing ideas, but maybe I'm just not running on enough coffee today. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
maelpj
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I guess I'm just not understanding. You say you can't recover from doing a lift more than once a week, yet you want to increase the frequency of the lifts. That seems like opposing ideas, but maybe I'm just not running on enough coffee today. Good luck.
I said Im not recovering from 2 times a week ( Which means every 3-4 says), but every 5 day make a difference.

Lets say I squat Sunday, there is no way wednesday ( 3 day later) I would be able to squat optimally. But if I wait till friday( 5 day later) than yes, good chance I would be ready.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Off Road
Max Brawn

That sounds really typical to me. Wendler recommends a three day routine for just that reason. Wendler himself hits a two day routine. You could then fill in with small accessory lifts on the off days. Like:

Monday:
Bench heavy/Press light

Wednesday:
Deadlift heavy/Squat light

Friday:
Press heavy/Bench light

Monday:
Squat heavy/Deadlift light

Wednesday:
Start over with Bench heavy/Press light

Then on Tuesdays and Thursdays you could do some conditioning, upper back, rear delt, abs, arms, prehab, etc.