Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Question re: Back vs Front Squat (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12442)

SecondsOut 02-09-2013 02:13 PM

Question re: Back vs Front Squat

I'm thinking of changing up my deadlift day. Lately, I've been closing with a few back off sets with something ~50% 1-rm for 3-4x10. I'm thinking of keeping the first part of my deadlift routine (probably 5x5 or something else in the < 40 rep range) and then closing with front squats.

My goal here would be to not break down my lower back with too much volume on DL but still get a moderate-volume leg workout with the front squats. Back squat would still have its own day, of course. Does this even make sense? I haven't used front squats as a major part of my routine before.

MikeM 02-09-2013 03:53 PM

Deadlift-Front Squat combo is an awesome combination! 10 rep sets are killer though. Go way lighter than 50% of your back squat to start. And front squats are a great quad builder. I need to get back to doing them regularly.

jdmalm123 02-09-2013 04:41 PM

Yeah, after fatiguing your back with deadlifts be sure to use a front squat weight that is manageable.

Paradox 02-09-2013 04:44 PM

You're planning on doing your back down sets as sets of ~10reps with front squats after deadlifting?

I fully support doing front squats after deadlift, I would not support doing them as 10 rep sets. I wouldn't do 10 rep front squat sets at any point. At such a high number of reps, you'll start to fail in the upper back well before your quads.

EDIT: As you haven't done front squats a lot before, adding them in is definitely a good idea. Neglected quads are never good.

EDIT2: I really just started adding front squats in as well, and my technique is awful, so take all the above with a grain of salt.

MikeM 02-09-2013 05:13 PM

Dave, I would have said the same thing about lowering the reps as recently as a couple weeks ago. But recently JB had me do 10 rep front squats after back squatting and I gotta tell you I was sceptical to say the least, but it does hit your quads even with lightish weights, helps hone in squat form, and I think his idea is doing the combo on back day is to fatigue his back with the fronties as well as hit some leg work. It's good conditioning too.

I say give it a whirl and see what happens. If it doesn't work drop them like a bad habit! :)

BigJosh 02-09-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondsOut (Post 322794)
I'm thinking of changing up my deadlift day. Lately, I've been closing with a few back off sets with something ~50% 1-rm for 3-4x10. I'm thinking of keeping the first part of my deadlift routine (probably 5x5 or something else in the < 40 rep range) and then closing with front squats.

My goal here would be to not break down my lower back with too much volume on DL but still get a moderate-volume leg workout with the front squats. Back squat would still have its own day, of course. Does this even make sense? I haven't used front squats as a major part of my routine before.

I do this exact thing and think it works great.

Paradox 02-09-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 322842)
Dave, I would have said the same thing about lowering the reps as recently as a couple weeks ago. But recently JB had me do 10 rep front squats after back squatting and I gotta tell you I was sceptical to say the least, but it does hit your quads even with lightish weights, helps hone in squat form, and I think his idea is doing the combo on back day is to fatigue his back with the fronties as well as hit some leg work. It's good conditioning too.

I say give it a whirl and see what happens. If it doesn't work drop them like a bad habit! :)

I'll have to try them out again some time, Mike. Thanks for that tidbit.

SecondsOut 02-09-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 322822)
Deadlift-Front Squat combo is an awesome combination! 10 rep sets are killer though. Go way lighter than 50% of your back squat to start. And front squats are a great quad builder. I need to get back to doing them regularly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradox
, I would not support doing them as 10 rep sets. I wouldn't do 10 rep front squat sets at any point. At such a high number of reps, you'll start to fail in the upper back well before your quads.

EDIT: As you haven't done front squats a lot before, adding them in is definitely a good idea. Neglected quads are never good.

EDIT2: I really just started adding front squats in as well, and my technique is awful, so take all the above with a grain of salt.

thanks a lot for the feedback. so the basic idea is good, but possibly less than 10 reps is better? i'll move forward with the plan and possibly do a bit less than 10 reps. thanks bros!!