Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How much do front squats help back squats? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12419)

abett07 02-07-2013 08:36 AM

How much do front squats help back squats?

I have just recently found that the close grip bench press has helped my overhead press and bench press a lot, so I am looking for something that could help improve my squat , specifically getting out of the bottom.

Do you believe that the front squat can significantly help improve the back squat or are their better assistant lifts that can be used?

Fazc 02-07-2013 08:42 AM

I miss your "personal trainer at my gym said..." threads :(

Paradox 02-07-2013 08:52 AM

Personally, I think the best assistance for squats is more squatting. More back squatting, at that. Next best, front squats. I've been front squatting a lot recently and I think they're having a very nice carryover to my back squat.

SCStrong 02-07-2013 09:16 AM

Goblet squats have helped my back squat form improve greatly.

WilldBill88 02-07-2013 11:35 AM

When I was doing Reg Parks 5x5 program I was squating 3x's a week, alternating between front and back squats. I think it helped my back squat, it seemed like when my front squat went up, so did my regular squat.

Currently I'm running 5/3/1 Wendler recommends leg presses for raw squatters to help at the bottom of the squat.. Can't say for sure if this is true, but I'm experimenting with it now.

BendtheBar 02-07-2013 11:40 AM

I really don't think front squats ever helped my back squats at all. More squats helped my back squats.

I tend to look at front squats as more of an assistance exercise for deadlifts, but with that said, I don't think they are as good for deadlifts as back squats.

Some guys get more out of front squats then me, so mileage may vary.

evilinmotion 02-07-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradox (Post 321807)
Personally, I think the best assistance for squats is more squatting. More back squatting, at that. Next best, front squats. I've been front squatting a lot recently and I think they're having a very nice carryover to my back squat.

^That...in the past the only thing I used to chance was the stance... maybe a cycle with your personal competition stance, and 2 more different ones either wider or narrower on other cycles.

(or alternate stance every week)

Paradox 02-07-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 321917)
I really don't think front squats ever helped my back squats at all. More squats helped my back squats.

I tend to look at front squats as more of an assistance exercise for deadlifts, but with that said, I don't think they are as good for deadlifts as back squats.

Some guys get more out of front squats then me, so mileage may vary.

I should add that the only reason (I think) that front squats are helping right now is because they're sitting at like 50% of my max, and I haven't trained quads in years. Once my quads catch back up, I don't think front squats will help nearly as much.

abett07 02-08-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 321802)
I miss your "personal trainer at my gym said..." threads :(

I am trying to do less listening to the personal trainers but without failure one of them will come up to me with some stupid advice like never squat without first performing an exercise that activates the Gluteus Maximus.

I was close to setting up a home gym over Christmas but at the same time we had a spell of hot weather and the girls at reception started wearing miniskirts and tank tops.

Soldier 02-08-2013 08:28 AM

Oh god, a personal trainer read an article on muscle activation. Watch out! Those guys are a constant source of amusement.